Overcarbonation problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtb178

Reaction score
I've noticed that many of my beers (only 6 batches in) become overcarbonated after about 4 weeks in the bottle. I use the priming sugar calculators, using sucrose, rather than corn sugar. I aim for the middle of the style. Any thoughts?

Are you measuring by cup or using a scale and going by weight?

+1
In addition, are you verifying the actual bottling volume prior to calculating? Are you getting gushers? Is every bottle the same or some are and some not? Have the bottles been refrigerated for several days prior to opening?

Are you measuring by cup or using a scale and going by weight?

This!

Also, are you batch priming? Also, perhaps it's your taste preference, why not aim for the lower end of the style?

+1
In addition, are you verifying the actual bottling volume prior to calculating? Are you getting gushers? Is every bottle the same or some are and some not? Have the bottles been refrigerated for several days prior to opening?

I'm using a scale, and have noticed relatively similar carbonation as time goes on. I think that it may have something to do with the beer temperature at fermentation? I tend not to look at the beer for two weeks or so before checking FG, and my room tends to change a bit in temperature (+/- 5 degrees?). Could this be the cause?

Thanks.

I'm using a scale, and have noticed relatively similar carbonation as time goes on. I think that it may have something to do with the beer temperature at fermentation? I tend not to look at the beer for two weeks or so before checking FG, and my room tends to change a bit in temperature (+/- 5 degrees?). Could this be the cause?

Thanks.

NO.

I wait 1 month and then take zero readings. Works great.

I guess that you have pretty consistent results........you do decant into a glass, right?

If so, I would dial down the sugar by 1/8 or so.

Thanks.

It might be, IF, the beer has not finished fermenting at the time you bottle. The important question is, are you checking the FG before you rack to your bottle bucket? When you put wort into bottles that hasn't fully attenuated, you are in effect, adding priming sugar PLUS whatever fermentable sugar was left behind, which effectively all becomes part of the same priming solution.

It might be, IF, the beer has not finished fermenting at the time you bottle. The important question is, are you checking the FG before you rack to your bottle bucket? When you put wort into bottles that hasn't fully attenuated, you are in effect, adding priming sugar PLUS whatever fermentable sugar was left behind, which effectively all becomes part of the same priming solution.

Yep, I'm checking FG, which always comes in at or below the estimate. I think I just need to lower my sugar use, and then recheck. I have a west coast IPA that I think I'll carbonate at 1.9 vol. instead of 2.2, as I have been.

Yep, I'm checking FG, which always comes in at or below the estimate. I think I just need to lower my sugar use, and then recheck. I have a west coast IPA that I think I'll carbonate at 1.9 vol. instead of 2.2, as I have been.

Instead of using the calculator (which may or may not be accurate as it tries to guestimate the probable amount of residual co2 in solution), try using a "standard" amount. Normally for me, it's 4 ounces of corn sugar (not sucrose!) by weight for a finished 5 gallons. If you're ending with less than 5 gallons, scale down the priming sugar. Try .75 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon. For table sugar, use 3.9 ounces for 5 gallons.

(Can you tell that I hate those priming calculators? :cross: Everybody seems to have overcarbed or undercarbed beer by priming "to style". Most people who drink bottled beer are accustomed to about 2.2-2.4 volumes for all styles).

(Can you tell that I hate those priming calculators? :cross: Everybody seems to have overcarbed or undercarbed beer by priming "to style". Most people who drink bottled beer are accustomed to about 2.2-2.4 volumes for all styles).

THIS^

when you are following a calculator despite actual reality happening before your very eyes, there is a problem.

Take Yooper's suggested amount, see what the result is.

Adjust if needed without anything more than the sense and senses (insert supreme being) gave you.

I use the tastybrew calculator myself. But I've gotten used to how much carbonation works well for a style in reality,& adjust the volumes of co2 in the calculator accordingly. Works a bit better.

Instead of using the calculator (which may or may not be accurate as it tries to guestimate the probable amount of residual co2 in solution), try using a "standard" amount. Normally for me, it's 4 ounces of corn sugar (not sucrose!) by weight for a finished 5 gallons. If you're ending with less than 5 gallons, scale down the priming sugar. Try .75 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon. For table sugar, use 3.9 ounces for 5 gallons.

Also many of the calculators are broken for things like Hefeweizens when they tell you to add 8+ oz of sugar to get the desired carbonation.

Back