Overcarbonated bottles of Belgian Wit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceyaquarius

Reaction score
Used a Belgian Wit kit that had DME and LME, Blue Moon clone.
(thread about adding the peach flavoring of this batch below)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...ed-syrup-before-bottling.646806/#post-8247547

I attempted using BSG fuit flavoring to a 5 gallon batch of Belgian Ale (blue moon clone), poured 75% in 9 days into the first fermenting bucket, then poured the last 25% in the day of bottling.

I now realize that the flavoring goes in just before bottling, but still 90% of the 16 oz bottles were overcarbonated to the point where i have to hold it over the sink to open, wait 5 minutes or more, then slowly pour into a glass, and still the off-gassing is way above what it should be and it's affecting the taste of course, with no flavor of peach, though it's the overcarb that I'm not wanting to repeat.

I used the kit's 4.5 oz. of sugar for a 5 gallon batch, stirred it in boiling water for 2 minutes, let it cool down, then added it to the primary fermenter and stirred it for a minute, did not use alcohol boost.

I've never seen overcarbonating in bottles after 3+ years of brewing.

Wondering if you opened your bottles warm, or were they chilled in the refrigerator first? Cold beers will hold their CO2 much better.

I looked back at the linked thread and noticed a reply mentioning the flavored concentrate or extract might have had sugar in it. If so, it would've contributed to your priming levels ... about 23-24 grams per fluid ounce, if I read the product labels from the website correctly.

Last edited:
Back