Overcarbing? Infection? Bad batch? not sure what happened...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkuchan

Reaction score
Hello. I have a few years of brewing experience under my belt, but I can't say I'm very good at it. Living in Minneapolis, I get my kits mainly from Northern Brewer and sometimes Midwest. I haven't used any Mr. Beer products in years, but I still get their e-mail newsletter.

Anyway, they were having a big sale a few months ago, so I thought "what the heck. With free shipping, I could pick up a few things if it's a good deal. Well, their Winter Dark Ale cans were dirt cheap due to them approaching their expiration date, so I figured I could try some Mr Beer craft HME for a change, see if it was any good. I got 3 cans and brewed 6 gallons of it OG was about 1.051. Everything went normally, and after 3 weeks of fermentation I decided to bottle.

I went to take a FG reading, and foam foam foam. The crap foamed up like crazy in the tube. I waited for it to die down and took a reading of 1.010. Seemed fine, but all the foam was bothering me. It wasn't carbonated when I tasted it, but it was foaming in every bottle to the point where I was filling them all about half full and letting them sit for the foam to die down before filling the rest. I was telling myself that I shouldn't be bottling it like this, but then I would tell myself that it was probably something fairly common that I just haven't encountered yet. Besides, the FG is good, so what could go wrong?

Bottling done. I make sure to use a few plastics that I can squeeze to give myself some idea of how the carbonation is going or if I should be worried. 3 days later the bottles are hard. Also all the bottles had white rings around the bottle necks (looked like Krausen, maybe), so I wondered what was going on, but the weren't bulging like one time when I had a few gushers, so I let it be. I chilled a few beers to test. After chilling for a day I tried one. Not a gusher, but insane head in the glass (like 80% head). I didn't like that one bit. It tasted funny, but not really bad, and not necessarily infected (it fermented really warm, so I figured that was the problem). I decided to crack open a few of the resealable bottles (plastics, swing-tops) warm to check/vent. I got fountains. So many. They all went wild. It's been a week since bottling. I may dump the rest. I could drink it; tastes fine, but I don't want to risk any potential bombs.

I'm trying to figure out what the problem was. I've had gushers before, and they gushed even after being chilled. These gush warm, but not cold (but it's still all head after that). What was with all the foaming during bottling? Didn't look infected in the fermenter, and I take everything apart and clean it, so the spigots were definitely clean. I've had a few bad bottles before, but this is the whole batch. What's going on?

My biggest worry now is that my fermenting bucket is infected (plastic). I worry because I put a Pliny the Elder clone in there after bottling this batch (and cleaning/sanitizing of course). I have been absolutely anal with temp control and everything else to make sure this one turns out well, and I may literally cry if all that effort goes to waste.

Even if it was infected there should never be foam in the uncarbonated beer after bottling. I think there was something seriously wrong with the extracts in that kit. That would be enough for me never to go back to them again. But I still wouldnt rule out the possibility that your fermentor is contaminated with whatever it was that was wrong with that stuff

Thanks for the reply. I'm still uneasy about this whole experience. I think I'll dump the batch just to be safe. What a waste.

I don't blame you for being uneasy. What you're seeing seems impossible. The excess gas should escape normally - it only remains in the beer if under pressure. (I assume your beer wasn't under pressure in the fermenter.) In fact, the priming tables are based on how much CO2 will be present depending on temperature.

I hope the next batch is OK. It would probably be a good idea to take a preliminary gravity sample 2 - 3 days before bottling to be sure the gravity is stable.

Did you use a blow off tube? could you have inadvertently sucked some starsan into your fermentor when the wart cooled?

Did you use a blow off tube? could you have inadvertently sucked some starsan into your fermentor when the wart cooled?

I fermented this one in my old Coopers bucket, so no airlock or tubing. The foam that I got during bottling was thick and dense, not light and soapy like star-san. Also, if this helps, a white, head-like residue left on the inside walls of the fermenter (which I've gotten before using Mr Beer/Coopers yeast without issue, and I'm also noticing a bit of this on some of the clear bottles).

Is there a chance it wasn't done fermenting even after 3 weeks? The cans were old, maybe something was wrong with the yeast?

Is there a chance it wasn't done fermenting even after 3 weeks? The cans were old, maybe something was wrong with the yeast?

Obviously it should be done after 3 weeks, but yeast can be unpredictable, especially if the yeast or extract was a little funky. It could explain the apparent defiance of the laws of physics.

Sounds infected to me. A white ring (pellicle) at the liquid line in the neck of a bottle is an indicator of infection.

Brew on :mug:

@nikkuchan - you may also want to try the Mr. Beer community forum, as while some answers here are helpful, it isn't likely you will see many people over there just say "well, one bad experience by someone else and I'd never try that crap again!"

:)

I fermented this one in my old Coopers bucket, so no airlock or tubing.

I'm not sure what a Coopers bucket is, but if the lid got sealed with krausen or whatever else, it may have actually carb'd up in the fermenter since it could have built up pressure.

I'm not sure what a Coopers bucket is, but if the lid got sealed with krausen or whatever else, it may have actually carb'd up in the fermenter since it could have built up pressure.

It's one of these. It's not unlike another other fermentation bucket, it just has a loose lid to let co2 escape. I got it when I started and just kept using it because it's incredibly easy to use and clean.

http://www.innhousebrewery.co.uk/im....co.uk/extralarge/093345coopers_fermenter.png

@nikkuchan - you may also want to try the Mr. Beer community forum, as while some answers here are helpful, it isn't likely you will see many people over there just say "well, one bad experience by someone else and I'd never try that crap again!"

:)

Very nice idea. I might find someone who had a similar experience. I'm not against Mr Beer or other HMEs (I've had some great beers with them), but for some reason, something got messed up here, and it was such an odd situation I had to ask.

Back