Overcarbbing keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually put 30# PSI when carbbing my kegs for 36-48 hours. Never have a problem with the amount of CO2 in the beer. However, this past time I forgot to turn off the CO2 and it stayed on for almost a week before I remembered what I had done.

Now when I try to draw off a glass of brew I get nothing but foam. I've been wondering if there is any way I can reduce the carbonation in the beer?

I'm open to all ideas?

Thx
Dan

What was the temperature of the beer while it was on 30 psi? "Room temperature" would be a lot different than "serving temperature" wrt how badly you've overcarbed this poor keg.

If it was the latter, well, it's gonna take a heck of a lot more than "a couple" of gas releases to tame that brew. It might take a couple of days of popping the PRV every time you think of it...

Cheers!

If it was the latter, well, it's gonna take a heck of a lot more than "a couple" of gas releases to tame that brew. It might take a couple of days of popping the PRV every time you think of it...

Cheers!

that is true for sure it may take a lot of purging to get it almost to start over

I do a couple of days at 20 psi purge then a day at 7 - 10 psi then start pouring

and it is all god

S_M

What was the temperature of the beer while it was on 30 psi? "Room temperature" would be a lot different than "serving temperature" wrt how badly you've overcarbed this poor keg.

Cheers!

Temp was probably 34-38 degree's. I had thought that I could probably purge the CO2 using the PRV but thought "asking before trying" was better first.

Thx for the replies!

Back