Over carbonated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.R.S

Reaction score
So having brewed a Coopers Australia Pale Ale and being very disappointed with the taste, I have embarked on a Young's APA extract kit.
2 weeks in fermentation at circa 21/22c and bottled for 2 days.
I think the temp has risen too much as the thermometer read 23c for the bottle temperature and they already seem fairly pressurised from the outside (brown coopers pet bottles).
I opened one bottle and there is a lot of carbonation already. This is only after 2 days conditioning!
Should I be worried about impending bottle bombs?
I am!
Any suggestions please?

Did you take two FG readings and, if so, were they the same?
I have beer carb quickly (5 days) but I never tried one after two. With the plastic bottles, I wouldn't worry too much. You can always unscrew and tighten the lot after a week. If you were using glass, it would be different.

How much priming sugar for how many gallons of beer? The temperature doesn't dictate how carbonated your beer is, the amount of priming sugar does. The temperature will only affect how quickly it gets to the final carbonation level.

Did you take two FG readings and, if so, were they the same?
I have beer carb quickly (5 days) but I never tried one after two. With the plastic bottles, I wouldn't worry too much. You can always unscrew and tighten the lot after a week. If you were using glass, it would be different.

Yes I did and they were both the same although perhaps my readings were taken at different temps. Are you suggesting it may not have finished primary fermentation? The beer was cloudy when I bottled it unlike the last kit I did from what I can remember. Mind you for that kit I left it in primary for 3 weeks.

How much priming sugar for how many gallons of beer? The temperature doesn't dictate how carbonated your beer is, the amount of priming sugar does. The temperature will only affect how quickly it gets to the final carbonation level.
I used the recommended supply that came with the kit, I cant remember the amount but it was supplied with it.
I guess the temperature is too high if it has got to this level after only 2 days?

I have had beer carbonated in 24 hours and then stop. Unless you used way too much priming sugar you will be fine. I've noticed that beers opened early tend to have little heading. Given more time the rest of the batch formed nice heads.

Are you suggesting it may not have finished primary fermentation?
Just double-checking. With what you now have said (three weeks and two FG readings), you're good.
A higher conditioning temp can cause a quicker carbonation but only up to a point yeast-wise.
Since it has finished fermenting, I wouldn't bother gassing the bottles unless you prefer a lighter amount of carbonation.

Just double-checking. With what you now have said (three weeks and two FG readings), you're good.
A higher conditioning temp can cause a quicker carbonation but only up to a point yeast-wise.
Since it has finished fermenting, I wouldn't bother gassing the bottles unless you prefer a lighter amount of carbonation.
Perhaps my message wasn't so clear. No the last kit was in the fermenter for 3 weeks before bottling. This Young's kit I am doing now was in for 2 weeks with 2 similar fg readings at the end. I bottled it at 2 weeks and it is now into its 4th day of conditioning.

@S.R.S
No, you were clear enough, my mistake. In any case, two weeks and two readings the same though at different temps, still would be okay for showing completion.
If, by any chance, they weren't done fermenting, you still have that nice option of degassing.

Back