Over carbed question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpenn35

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Blonde recently. After 8 days in primary, I racked to secondary on top of six pounds of strawberries. When I racked onto the berries, my gravity was at 1.020. I took the beer off the berries after a week and let it sit for another week or so in a carboy. I bottles three weeks after brewing, and my gravity was consistent at 1.016.

Anyway, the girlfriend had a bad day yesterday, so I put one bottle in the fridge after only 3-4 days in the bottle. I know, three weeks in the bottle at room temperature...I normally do but I made this for her and wanted to cheer her up so since the beer was so tasty at bottling, I figures why not.

Anyway, I opened the beer and it let out a nice hiss. I poured with the glass tilted and after pouring just half the beer in a glass, the head took up half the glass (12 oz bottle in 14 or 16 oz glass.)

It tastes amazing once the creamy head went down, but I'm worried that if it's that carbed so soon, could I end up with bottle bombs,

I carbed 4.5 gallons with 4 3/8 oz of dextrose.

Its just angry that you tried to drink it to soon.

I had the same issue before, give it a couple more weeks and it should mellow out, doubt its really over carbed.

If the gravity was stable, and you used the right amount of priming sugar.... relax.

Oftentimes, you'll see this same complaint. If the beer hasn't been alllowed to sit, cold, for long enough AFTER the threeish week period, you'll get tons o foam - the CO2 is not fully in suspension, and you get lots of foam that melts away rapidly.

I have noticed in my brown ale that if I pour it cold, I get 1-2 fingers of foam that lasts. If I let it warm, I get as many as 4 fingers of foam, but it goes away quickly.

I've never opened one so soon before, so I guess I was just expecting a flat beer, not one with that much carbonation after such a short time. I've opened beer after a week, two weeks, a day in the fridge, four hours in the fridge, etc. and never had a problem like this.

Like I said, I don't normally open anything until I open one at a week, another at two weeks, etc. Just wanted to give it a try. Plus the girlfriend seemed to really like it. And I'm not a fruit beer guy, but it was pretty damn good.

Back