Over carbed in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcrawfo2

Reaction score
I have a keg of over carbed beer in ball lock kegs with the pressure release valves. I know I can pull they release over and over for a few days. Can I pull the release and twist to keep it open? Or am I opening myself up to nasties getting in?

Last time it happened to me I just turned down the pressure on my regualtor and pulled the release a couple times each day. I had normal carb levels in 3-4 days. Don't try to wedge open your pressure release valve by any means.

With my kegs at least, if you pull your PR valve then twist it about a 1/4 turn it will stay open. But I only do this when I am cleaning a bunch of kegs. Leaving it open with beer in there is an invite to anything around.

I find that if I drop the PSI on my CO2 regulator, I run the risk of getting beer in my gas line (I often fill my kegs up too high).

Instead, I remove the gas disconnect, spray the PR valve with star-san and release until almost no gas is coming out then let it go. Check back in 30-min to an hour and do it again - repeat until beer sprays out, then wait and start again the following day. Repeat until happy. Set Regulator, to desired PSI, and connect disconnect. If you hear gas hissing in, your PSI was less than the set pressure. You're good. If not, disconnect the gas and repeat from the beginning.

Better yet - build a spunding valve (granted, you need to be sure you beer isn't near the gas output post). Clip it into the gas post, set the desired PSI, and walk away.

Spunding valve: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/my-first-spunding-valve-231048/

Cheers!
Max

Another vote against leaving the PRV locked open for any length of time.

If you're really in a hurry to decrease the carb level, there's a faster way. Take both QD's off of the keg, put a liquid QD on your gas line, connect it to the liquid post, and open the PRV while gas bubbles up through the beer. The gas bubbling up through the beer will knock a lot of carbonation out of solution. Be careful though, it can result in a fair amount of foam coming out of the PRV. You also want to be careful not to overdo it, as it's easy to remove more carbonation than you want to.

Well...

When I first installed a stout faucet I had to learn the optimal carbonation level for the keg before putting it on beer gas. After a couple of pours it was obvious the first stout was carbed too high for optimal presentation, so I locked the PRV open for 24 hours and then tested pours again. Still wasn't quite to par so another 24 hours with the keg PRV open, and then the pours hit the sweet spot....

CHeers!

Another vote for not rigging your valve open.

I just went through the exact same thing myself with an awe inspiring nut brown. I was kinda sad that the best glass I poured was half foam. I had two choices....decrease the pressure and relive the valve every chance I get for several days, or....Drink foam.

I drank foam.

Back