Over Active Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gibby75

Reaction score
I'll apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge on what could be a stupid question BUT....first time doing a cider AND....

put together a cider and added 1/2 lb of sugar to get OG to 1.055. Pitched on Sunday evening and it took 24 hours before it started to ferment. Once started it seemed to pause as activity (bubbling) stopped for 12 hours. Checked when I got home from work today and it is going crazy. To the point that the airlock is filled with cider and cider spilled on to the top of my bucket. Cleaned it all up with sanitizer and put in a new sanitized airlock. Do I have anything to worry about with contamination or am I in wait and see mode.

Again....thanks for any insight given that can lessen my fears.

It'll be fine. It just sounds like it got pretty warm, and/or you don't have that much headspace. Warmer fermentation temperatures will mean more aggressive yeast activity.

Just had this happen with 1 pack of D47 in an active 1 gallon batch-- the airlock was foaming and turning dark and bubbling right out of the top. Put in a 2nd clean airlock and that one got messy too after an hour.

Finally I took my sanitized siphon hose and ran it from the hole in my stopper to a 1/2 gallon glass jug filled 1/2 way with water and a little StarSan. That tube was shooting out bubbles pretty hard! Had to leave it there for almost 2 days before the fermentation settled down and I could put another clean airlock on it!

Back