Outlets external or internal? Opinions please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfan99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at the point in my keezer build where I need to wire my controller (Inkbird). I'm trying to decide between:

1) enclosing it all in a "project box" and mounting it to the side of the keezer.
2) mounting the controller on the front of the collar and then also mounting the outlets in the collar as well.

I don't want to splice into the existing freezer wiring.

I've seen many keezers follow #1 but only a few follow #2. That said, I've never seen any updates as to how things are working say, a few months to a year after.

All opinions are welcome...let me here your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

It really comes down to your personal preference. If you mount anything internally, just make sure it's sealed up so moisture/condensation can't get in the electrical contacts and cause problems.

Personally, I installed my STC-1000 and a duplex outlet inside one of those blue junction boxes, which I then mounted through the collar on the back of keezer where it's not seen. When I was building the keezer I caulked everywhere around that junction box, including around all the wires coming out the back.

If you want the temperature controller to be visible you can definitely mount it on the front, just make sure to enclose the parts that will be in the fridge.

Back