Outfit for pro brewing interview?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudzAndSudz

Reaction score
Hey all! I was lucky enough to score an interview early next week with a local brewery! How should one dress for an event like that? Usually I would rock a suit and tie but I feel like brew masters are an odd bunch...
Should I just wear my A-game and not worry about being overdressed?

I wouldn't over think it. I don't think you can ever go wrong showing up for an interview in a suit. It certainly isn't appropriate wear for the day to day in a brewing gig but it sure is a sign of respect and there's nothing wrong with that. You may get a friendly jab but better that than a look of disdain for being under dressed.

I would think the bare minimum would be tidy business casual. No jeans, no t-shirts. And don't wear brewery wear from another brewery at the interview. ;)

Business Casual at the least. Sport Jacket or suit. Trim/Comb your beard, because obviously if you are a brewer you have one. No sandals, even with socks. Showing some pride in your appearance helps your confidence which helps your interviews. Also it shows that you care enough about the job to make the effort. If there is a practical part of the interview, keep some more workable clothes in your car.

Just my opinion, but I would rather over than underdress for any job interview. Heck, I wore a suit when I interviewed to be a lifeguard when I was a teen.

+1 to everything Jon said, especially having the extra set of work clothes in your car. They may spring something on you that you may need to change for.

I think dress pants, button-down, and tie is appropriate. If it's hot I would skip the coat, you don't want to be all sweaty. Be well-groomed and act alert and enthusiastic, but not over-the-top to the point where the interviewer decides he wouldn't want to put up with that level of enthusiasm on a daily basis (been there). I've done quite a few interviews as the interviewer (in a professional engineering role), and there were a lot of people that walked through the door and I thought "You're kidding me." A well-fitting, clean business casual is preferable over a suit that doesn't fit that has stains all over it. First impressions are priceless in interviews, and a lot of that impression is made before you even open your mouth.

If the local brewery is Mountain Sun, Id say Birkenstock's, patchwork pants, and lots of patchouli.

:D

Biz casual is what I would recommend to make a good impression. Most breweries hire based on production experience and education/certifications, so make sure the CV is up to par.

Find out what the boss wears and then wear the same but clean and presentable. Different jobs require different dress modes and overdressing the part is a big killer for me when I would hire someone.

I think the finding out what the boss wears is a good strategy.

What I would probably go for if I was flying blind for a brewery is somewhat of a business casual look.

My typical business casual approach is V-Neck Sweater and button down shirt unbuttoned top 2 buttons. For the warmer summer may be better to go with a long sleeve shirt but with the sleeves rolled or bunched up and wear a vest with a loose fitting tie and the top button of your shirt unbuttoned, or you can tighten the tie and button the button if that makes you more comfortable.

Honestly if you're going for an interview, what you're wearing isn't half as important as how you present yourself. I've gotten jobs underdressed before because I presented myself as highly intelligent and organized. Just show up clean, clothed, and smiling and you're about 90% there

Yeah u wanna show that have class when u need it, plus its kinda disrespectful to the owner of the facility. Def go with a suit and tie or at the very least a nice button down, khakis and a blazer

BTW I had an interview for a sales position at a Brewery I showed up in a suit and the guy told me to take it off so it really is a crap shoot.

Yeah I'm a little bit worried about that.... This brewery is known for their relaxed and outdoorsy attitude. I'm sure a suit will be overdressed a bit, the debate is just whether or not they'll consider that a bad thing.

I'd go with business casual as well. Some slacks, button up shirt and a tie. I think rolling the sleeves up helps it look a bit more casual, but that's just me. As stated above, I think the worst you'd face from being over-dressed is he/she cracking a joke. It seems like going under-dressed, however, could cause some potentially negative impressions.

So you interviewed in your underwear?

Yup

In all seriousness I converted to a more business casual, Jacket off, tie loosened top button undone and sleeves rolled up. Got a second interview as well which isn't bad considering I have no experience in the beverage industry.

I would wear a suit. But I would take the time to make a hop necklace. And wear that also.

I wore some nice modern slim fit khakis with a colorful checkered button up and sport coat. Must have been the right call!

And gitmoe; it's Upslope Brewing. We do about 15,000BBL/year but its all Colorado so you may not have seen it in your area yet!

I brewed 12,000 gallons last week plus 30 gallons of homebrew. Talk about the life!

Congrats on the position. I haven't had the opportunity to sample any Upslope yet, but have heard a lot of good things. I'll have to get to the brewery next time im in the area.

That's awesome congrats man! A friend of mine is a cellarman for Epic in Salt Lake and they're opening another brewery in Denver. He keeps trying to get me to move out there from Philly... I'd love to.

What on earth is stopping you??? I don't know if you've heard, but Colorado is the best place, especially if you like beer! And then you and I can work out some trades ;)

Back