Outdoor Brewers - what do you do in the winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My solution to outdoor brewing in winter, 24x30 feet, 8" insulation in the walls, R50 attic...

IMG_20151112_1459145941_zpsqwalbzks.jpg

IMG_20151117_1539397531_zpsgkuoqhr8.jpg

IMG_20151026_1817288431_zps0ypazhv4.jpg

Maybe. I have one that has one of these doodads on the end:
ZRN_BFP-9.jpg

Or it did... it came off attached to my chiller funny enough and I haven't put it back on yet. I either over tightened the chiller trying to stop some dripping or it was installed $#!+y or both. Is that the same thing?

That's a backflow preventer(aka vacuum breaker). It acts as a one way check valve. Has nothing to do with freeze protection.

I do the mash in the basement, then set up the boil kettle just outside the basement door, and keep an eye on it through the window.

On the upside, chilling takes hardly any time at all.

I brew.

Northern VA winters aren't that bad, so it's easy to find a good day for brewing, even for someone like me who "schedules" brew days. We do get some wind and cold, but I have a carport that helps shelter me from the primary winter wind direction (NW).

The best thing about brewing in winter is ground water temps. Chilling (the worst part of brew day) is sooo easy.

I have a screened in porch that helps a lot plus I use the cardboard box that my flat screen TV came that wraps around my burn and propane tank with room to spare. It's at least 4 foot tall and blocks the wind and when I get cold I just sit on a bucket next to the burner and its plenty warm.

Wow, i think im the third AL brewer to this post, gotta be a record.

Yeah, winter brewing isnt really an issue here...i think i did it in shorts and a long sleeve last December.

I feel for you Norherners, i travel there for business occasionally and for some reason they always send me to detroit in February. Dont know how you do it!

I have a screened in porch that helps a lot plus I use the cardboard box that my flat screen TV came that wraps around my burn and propane tank with room to spare. It's at least 4 foot tall and blocks the wind and when I get cold I just sit on a bucket next to the burner and its plenty warm.

The best idea I have so far is brewing on my front porch... it wouldn't be great, but it's concrete at least, and I could sit inside my living room and still keep an eye on the mash and boil. Oh, how I wish I wasn't a college kid and had a house with an actual garage.

I brewed one batch in my garage (bought a CO alarm) but water for the IC was a real PIA. Also brewed one small batch on the stove which was also a pain for me. Luckily we have some nice winter days in Colorado and I can get out and brew once in a while.

In Maui the winters are pretty tough to brew as well. See attached pic
View attachment 364386
View attachment 364387

It's a hard life.

Please take no offense when I say, you suck!

:)

There's a theory--I just invented it--that says each place is equally attractive. Maui--I've been there, very nice--is expensive. Hard to get things we take for granted in the lower 48. Land and housing--expensive in Maui. However, the weather is terrific.

Every place has its advantages and disadvantages. My theory is that on balance, each place has enough nice to balance the not-so-nice.

We have some winter here in Wisconsin, but one thing we don't worry about is water. Land is reasonably-priced, where i live you can buy a home for in the $100,000 range, with a large yard. We tolerate the winter to get the other great things about living here.

Same in Maui. They tolerate the things that are disadvantages which are balanced by the things that are great.

There's a theory--I just invented it--that says each place is equally attractive. Maui--I've been there, very nice--is expensive. Hard to get things we take for granted in the lower 48. Land and housing--expensive in Maui. However, the weather is terrific.

Every place has its advantages and disadvantages. My theory is that on balance, each place has enough nice to balance the not-so-nice.

We have some winter here in Wisconsin, but one thing we don't worry about is water. Land is reasonably-priced, where i live you can buy a home for in the $100,000 range, with a large yard. We tolerate the winter to get the other great things about living here.

Same in Maui. They tolerate the things that are disadvantages which are balanced by the things that are great.

Yup. I live in NH. Everything is "reasonably* priced. I can be in the mountains, the ocean, or Boston in under an hour in different directions. However the weather isn't the greatest, property is a tad expensive, and there's not much to do exactly where I live.

I live in Maine so that's about half my year. Its actually the reason I switched over to using induction burners with SS 304 pots. Now I brew in the basement where it also stays cooler in the summer.
51.gif
50.gif

6.gif

Will you bots ****ing stop it?

My bib does not look like that unfortunately, just a standard hose, not a forward sealing like you have. I could do water and ice if I had a pump. I'm normally gravity only but I suppose I could use the sump pump I use for pumping water out of my garage when it floods... it already has a garden hose fitting and if I'm using a IC it doesn't need to be food safe right? Plus once we hit that part of the winter I can keep cooling the water w/ snow. This might just work...

I live not far from you. I brew all winter outside regardless of temp. I mash in a 10 gallon round beverage cooler and get very little temp drop during a 1 hour mash even in the dead of winter. I boil on the back porch in the open air, then cool with my immersion chiller. You can run a hose outside from a sink with an adapter if needed. I am lucky enough to have outdoor access to my basement and run a house out from the basement to the chiller then put it back in the basement when done to keep it from freezing. Before I had a chiller I would use one of the red rubbermaid tubs with rope handles and add a couple gallons of water to it when I added my sparge water to the tun. It would pretty much freeze and all i had to do was set my boil kettle in it and add a bag or 2 of ice or just shovel some snow into the tub to chill. The tubs are about $20. I have one I no longer use in perfect condition I can sell or trade. I also have bottles to give away. Pm me if interested.

Winter - or just inclement weather - does not stop my brew days.
I roll my rig into our rather snug workshop where I set up some simple 8" ductwork running to a ~1200 cfm blower exhausting outdoors, with cross-ventilation from an open window on the other end of the shop.

Takes about 20 minutes - most of which is moving all the free standing tools out of the way - with the last step plugging in the CO detector.
Then I'm ready to fill the hlt...

Cheers! :mug:

I just started my brewing journey and I'm already dreading winter. Ohio is cold as **** and I don't have a garage or anything. I don't *really* want to use my propane burner indoors, but I also don't want to give up brewing for 4 months b

What area of Ohio? I brew in the garage mostly in the Fall and Winter. If you are local you are welcome to join me. Brewing with friends gives me an excuse to drink homebrew :D

Outdoor brewing is not bad. The weather isn't the PIA in winter. It is the setup and breakdown time that gets to me. A good windscreen is a must. I'd much rather brew in winter than this summer BS. I have no garage either. Brew in a three tier NG structure. No problem as long as I don't forget to take in the hose!!

What area of Ohio? I brew in the garage mostly in the Fall and Winter. If you are local you are welcome to join me. Brewing with friends gives me an excuse to drink homebrew :D

I'm down in the middle of Columbus.

None of you know what winter is. I live 14 hours north of the border in Northern British Columbia. 18 hours of darkness in the winter and minus 40C or more. The summers more than make up for it all plus I love the snow and all the fun that can be had with it. I brew in my unheated shed with the door open. I use a CO monitor. I find that the rising heat draws air in and exchanges the air in the shed. Never seen the monitor move yet. The burner makes the shed nice and warm and so does a good hot scotchy.

None of you know what winter is. I live 14 hours north of the border in Northern British Columbia. 18 hours of darkness in the winter and minus 40C or more. The summers more than make up for it all plus I love the snow and all the fun that can be had with it. .

(I know this is a winter thread...)

I live 15 hours south of the canadian border in NorCal and in the summer we routinely see 40+C days and 261 sunny days a year.

I prefer to brew in the winter because our tap water (for the IC) doesn't cool my wort much less than 90F in the summer. Shoot in the winter if the sun comes out the air temp will get into the mid 50's F.

We periodically get snow where I live (1000' elev) but it melts almost right away.

I have brewed in the winter, but found out the hard way last year my garden hose outdoor spout didn't emit water in the deep cold, so I just went with "snowbank chiller." - it was quite the workout moving the full 5 gallons of wort into a new snowbank every ten minutes. I think Thanksgiving will be my last brew this year and I'll wait 'till at least Valentine's Day - if not St. Patty's. I should have more than enough beer to last...

Being down here in the New Mexico desert my problem is the opposite-I can't brew in the summer because of the 110F heat, but winters are wonderful for brewing in the garage. I usually quit brewing around the first of May and try to have enough beer on hand to last until fall.

Back