Out of hibernation in Minneapolis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pim

Reaction score
Allow myself to introduce myself . . .
My name is Chris, people just call me Pim though. I think because there are too many Chris’ in this world.

I am from/live/work in Minneapolis and have not brewed my first batch yet. My fiancée got me a brew kit after hearing me and some buds talk about it and now I’m really excited to get going. I have planned to brew my first batch on April 28th. Not to sure what kind yet, so if you have any suggestions and recipes that would be easy for a first timer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Even though I have not started to brew yet, I have been doing plenty of research. I have stumbled across this site multiple times in my internet research and figured I might as well join.

Welcome! You'll find this place to be invaluable...

My first batch was a Pale Ale extract batch with steeping grains, and some fresh basil added. Turned out immensely wonderful for a first try.

The other things I'll recommend for a newcomer:

2 books, "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian, and "Designing Great Beer" by Ray Daniels. The second one won't give you too much at first, because you're still learning the process, but once you know the ropes, it will help immensely. It goes into all the traditional styles in-depth...ingredients, processes, etc. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing is a must for anyone who brews.

The other thing to get, sooner or later, is a brewing program for your compy. I use ProMash and love it. Others like Beersmith. You can try them out for free before you decide what to buy, but I think I paid like $25 for ProMash, and it's gotten way more than its fair share of use.

Thanks Evan!.

I was thinking of doing a Pale Ale, but adding basil sounds awesome, awesome to the max. Was it dried or fresh?

I do have "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" on reserve at the public library, but it sounds like it's better to own for a referance rather then just a read through.

I'm going to check into the ProMash and Beersmith today. They kind of sound like fun.

Thanks again for the advice and I'll let you know how the first batch turns out.

Peace~pim

Back