O'so Infectious Groove Info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on O'so's Infection Groove? I'm interested in replicating something similar. The fact that it a year-round offering at $8/6pk leads me to believe they have a fairly high through-put souring process. Wondering if their bugs can be harvested, too.

"Beer Style: Sour Blonde ale, ABV: 4.8%, IBU: 2

Extremely pale yellow in color, Infectious Groove is everything your customers loved about our Berliner Weisse with a bit more bang for their buck. Refreshingly tart acidity would be an understatement, and a light mouthfeel that finishes dry, begging you to drink more greets you at the end of every sip. This is the first sour commercially available year round in Wisconsin at standard pricing."

Guy in our local club was assistant brewer there for a while. They kettle sour with fage yogurt. Ferment with chico yeast. It's just a basic pseudo berliner Weiss. No bugs in the nottle

Thanks! I did shoot them an email a couple weeks ago - no dice. Also, what do you mean 'pseudo'? Just that there aren't bugs in the bottle? Seems like a post-souring boil wouldn't necessarily make this a non-traditional BW, though, would it?

As I understand, yea. Traditional BW is a mixed fermentation, with lacto and sacc and some mild brett at the same time. No boiling the wort after souring. They may pasturize some in the bottle, don't know. Like I said, I know for a fact oso makes infectious groove by kettle souring with Fage brand plain yogurt, then boils with about 5 ibu and ferments with chico yeast. All you'll get out of the bottle for yeast is an acidic tempered chico yeast (wlp001, us05). A basic 50/50 pale malt and unmalted wheat grain bill, mash low, like 148f, use like 1/2 small container of yogurt and keep wort at 105f for 2-3 days, then boil adding a couple hops. Ferment with chico yeast.

snoman6115,

I love this beer but can only get it when I travel back to Wisconsin. Has anyone tried the recipe you describe? I am ready to give it a try!

I've made pretty much that exact recipe. It's a nice beer if you like simple sours.

I used a probiotic with L. plantarum to sour and 50/50 2-row and white wheat malt, with a light dose of Czech Saaz hops in the boil after souring. US-05 yeast.

I did get a hold of O'so, but it was regarding Refresher Course, not Infectious Groove. At first blush, it seems like a standard kettle soured BW, but every time I've had it recently i get notes of a maltier, nuttier presence on the back end. Something that isn't present in the BWs i make, similar to what RPh suggested above.

I would venture a guess they have a grainbill a bit different than a standard BW, as suggested by the statement on the beer's page: "a Kettle-Sour Blonde Ale that is built like a tart Berliner Weisse."

Latest posts

Back