Oslo Lager with Fruit. Can it be done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarLee

New to the Brew
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. I have some Oslo yeast waiting to be used. I was under the impression that this yeast can make a clean lager without lagering by fermenting in the 90s. Is it possible to brew a lager with pilsner malt and a low AA hop, put it on top of some fruit and make a fruity pilsner? Am I looking at disaster? I am sure this has been done before. Perhaps you can make a standard lager and put it on fruit? I dont understand if it will work with lagering. Any feedback or ideas welcome. Just got a fermentation chamber rocking and rolling. Thanks ahead of time for any responses.
Cheers!!!
Oh also what fruit works well? frozen/pure/fresh?

I don't think that Oslo needs to be fermented so warm.

Of course you can add fruit to a beer made with lager yeast.
  1. Primary ferment as normal.
  2. Add fruit -> secondary ferment.
  3. Package.
  4. Lager. (Or lager and then package, if you must.)
Cheers

Oslo reportedly is temp sensitive with respect to attenuation, as in fermenting at the low range will result in lower attenuation, at least according to Bootleg Biology:

“Recommended Fermentation Temperature: 75F-98F (24C-37C); colder temperatures may result in higher final gravities or early flocculation/stalling. Pitch and Ferment at 85F (30C) or higher for quickest fermentation time.”

Edit: also to add, I prefer fresh fruit that is then frozen to help break down the cell wall. Bag the chunks for easy removal after several days or when visible fermentation has subsided.

To be honest I don’t recall seeing very many fruited lagers, so report back how yours turns out!

Double edit: Just remembered that I used Oslo to make a Mexican lager along with some late Ekuanot hops, worked really well to provide a nice lime in the bottle note.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys.
RPh_Guy - That makes sense. I am going to give this a try!
isomerization - I have not seen anything done before really, thus the questions. I will go with fresh and then frozen fruit. Did you break it down by freeze thaw freeze thaw? or just slap it in a muslim bag frozen and let the magic happen?
Cheers!

Thanks for the input guys.
RPh_Guy - That makes sense. I am going to give this a try!
isomerization - I have not seen anything done before really, thus the questions. I will go with fresh and then frozen fruit. Did you break it down by freeze thaw freeze thaw? or just slap it in a muslim bag frozen and let the magic happen?
Cheers!

Freeze in a nylon paint strainer in a ziplock bag (both sanitized), thaw in the fridge and dump all contents into primary (maybe a secondary if space is tight on a long term sour).

Back