Orkney Dark Island recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randar

Half rib short of a full rack
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone out there a fan or been able to clone this beer? I have been searching around and have not found much int he way of suggested recipes or clones, so I figured it was worth asking. The website (http://www.sinclairbreweries.co.uk/bottle_darkisland.html) lists the following description:

Dark Island is an iconic beer: a standard-bearer for traditional Scottish ales. In cask, this beer has twice won CAMRA’s Champion Beer of Scotland.
On the nose, this dark beer offers bitter chocolate, figs, toffee and hints of fruit.

On the palate, this resolves into beautiful, silky-smooth, coffee-and-chocolate flavours, followed by figs, dates and dried fruits, with a very appealing, lingering aftertaste of fruits and hop bitterness.

Appearance
A very dark beer with a deep ruby tint, displaying a tight, smooth, almost white head

Aroma
Chocolate, winter fruits and dried fruits, with hints of smooth roasted malt, coffee, nuts and toffee

Palate
Chocolate, coffee and roast malt flavours, giving way to warm winter fruits and a balanced, more-ish aftertaste

Key Ingredients
Chocolate malt, crystal malt and wheat give this beer its smooth, full-bodied, maltiness and sweetness; First Gold and Goldings hops combine with the malt flavours to deliver the winter fruits and dried fruits aspects

Never had the beer nor know the recipe but I have found this:

OG 1.045, bitter to 22 IBUs
85-90% Golden Promise
3% crystal malt
3% chocolate
4% wheat (torrified?)

If going with 85% base malt, 5-6% sugar is added. I would think the sugar is optional, according to your tastes. I'd go with all-malt and a medium to medium high mash temp for the body. What kind of crystal? Hmm, I'd guess anything 75L and up, and british.

Here's my spin on this one that I plan on making tomorrow

Orkney Dark Island Ten (Clone) - Partial Mash
10gallon batch

1.5lbs Caramel 80
1lb Chocolate Malt
7lbs amber extract
2lbs sucrose
1lb flaked wheat

Hop Schedule
1.5 oz Saaz Boil 60
.75 oz Cascade Boil 60
.50 oz Saaz Biol 10
1.0 oz Ultra Boil 5
.50 oz Cascade Boil 5

Using US-05 yeast

OG 1.041
IBU 21.2
Color 23.6
ABV 4.7

Dark Island 5 gallon (UK gallons) batch OG 1045 ABV 4.6%

GOLDEN PROMISE PALE MALT 3570 gms
CRYSTAL MALT 120 gms
CHOCOLATE MALT 120 gms
TORRIFIED WHEAT 120 gms
CANE SUGAR 240 gms

HOPS boil time 90 minutes Named hops OMEGA but unobtainable so use TARGET

TARGET 17 gms

add 20 gms CHALLENGER last 15 minutes.

suggested yeast WHITE LABS WLP 028 or WYEAST 1728.

taken from Jim's Beer Kit forum

It's another on my to-do list, I love the beer.

edit - I see the hops are different to the description, probably got changed at some point

also I didn't notice how old the thread was :eek:

Back