Orange Zest in Secondary Floating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
I tried this post in the ingredients forum with no responses so I thought maybe I could try it here. Hope that's not a problem.

I Brewed up an Oberon clone 2.5 weeks ago and racked it into a secondary last weekend (2 weeks after brew) as FG was where it was supposed to be. When racking I put in .5 oz of fresh orange zest and will hopefully be bottling Friday or Saturday. The orange zest is floating on the top or near the top 1/2" of the beer now. Will it settle out or how do I make sure it doesn't get into my beer? If it will settle out how long should that take to happen?

Throw a hop bag over your racking cane/siphon, that should help. I would suggest putting the zest in a hop bag to start from now on.

I don't bother using any backs for anything. Everything all gets just dumped it.

Anything that floats, will float down on the surface as you're racking it to its next destination. Usually when the stuff reaches the trub layer it usually just gets stuck to it.

No biggie.

Back