Orange soda recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtrhdltd

Reaction score
Tonight I brewed a couple of batches of soda and figured I should share. Here is my orange soda recipe. It's not perfect but I think it's pretty close to orange soda with less sugar. Feel free to give your thoughts.

Makes 2.5 gallons

5 navel oranges
1 cup white table sugar
1 cup stevia with maltodextrin
1/2 tsp citric acid
1/4 tsp corn starch (first try with this)

I cut my oranges into pieces and run them through my meat grinder, skin and all. If you want your soda to taste more like fresh orange juice then strain out the juice and put it into keg now.
Add this pulp to the other ingredients and about a quart of water. Bring to boil for 10 minutes. Let cool.
20200817_182426.jpg

Strain through mesh into keg.
20200817_184734.jpg

Top off with water, mix and carbonate.
Here is a pic mainly to show color.
20200817_185352.jpg

I usually leave mine in the kegerator for 2 weeks before drinking.
Enjoy!

Well the corn starch didn't exactly work like I wanted. Yes it emulsified the orange oil, but it also clouded up and thickened as well. Still looking for the best emulsifier if anyone had ideas. Otherwise it's what I like.
20200901_164714.jpg

How was the taste? I have tried multiple orange soda recipes, and have yet to have one taste good

The flavor is part way between orange juice and traditional orange soda(candy flavor). If you like fresh juice flavor use more orange juice and add it after cooling the syrup. If you like traditional soda use more zest and citric acid, and less juice. I can taste the pith, if you dont like that flavor then use only juice and zest. I'm still searching for the best way to emulsify the oil from the zest. Hope this helps.

I have tried numerous orange soda recipes too. Still have to find one I am happy with. How does this taste compared to Cplus or Orange Crush?

I have tried numerous orange soda recipes too. Still have to find one I am happy with. How does this taste compared to Cplus or Orange Crush?
The recipe as posted is not the same, I like a little more fresh juice flavor. Use only the zest and use more than stated, no juice. Double the citric acid. Most prefer 1 lb of sugar per gallon, so match your taste preferences with sweeteners. This should get you close.

Thanks for sharing this. I'm also planning to make Orange soda for next week at my wedding anniversary.

Latest posts

Back