Orange peels and coriander seeds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceyaquarius

Reaction score
When do I strain them out? They are put in the wort at the last 10 min of the boil, but the instructions on my clone recipes don't say when to strain them out. Is it before the wort goes into the primary fermenter, or does it sit in the primary for a week or so?

I have been getting off-flavors and was wondering if my straining just after the boil is the reason.

Thanks.

I usually strain them out when transferring from the kettle to the fermenter. I did this with my hefe that had orange peel and corriander. I havent gotten any off flavors. I strain hops the same way. Just make sure you clean & sanitize whatever strainer you use.

I did a blue moon clone extract kit, and I left all of that in the primary the whole time. Came out wonderful with no off flavors. What kind of off-flavors are you getting?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

If you don't strain them out, the coriander likes to float. It will then get siphoned to the bottling bucket and then clog up your bottling wand. Don't ask how I know. Make sure to get them out only for the pure annoyance they can inflict. There is no other reason to remove them.

If you don't strain them out, the coriander likes to float. It will then get siphoned to the bottling bucket and then clog up your bottling wand. Don't ask how I know. Make sure to get them out only for the pure annoyance they can inflict. There is no other reason to remove them.

I see the opposite. All my orange peel and coriander ends up in the bottom of my fermenter. The only thing that gets clogged is my sink when I dump the trub during clean out.

I see the opposite. All my orange peel and coriander ends up in the bottom of my fermenter. The only thing that gets clogged is my sink when I dump the trub during clean out.

My guess is the two of you transferred at different times from beginning fermentation. Seeds and such tend to start a the bottom then float to the top and hang out for a little while until the degas- then it's back to the bottom. I've been playing around with corn lately and this happens every time with the kernels in the fermenter.

OP- it probably doesn't matter when they come out of the wort. I filter all my seeds/ hops/ etc. when I transfer from the kettle to the fermenter, but that's mostly so I don't have to clean as much from the bucket. Straining also helps aerate the wort after being chilled. Kyle

I would put this all in a muslin bag. Wouldn't that hold it all in?

It would, but the question of when to remove it would still stand. I agree that the norm is to leave it behind when transferring from the kettle to primary

I'd remove it after the boil. If I wanted it in the fermentor I'd use fresh.

Back