orange peel and coriander in an IPA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
Thinking about throwing in some orange peel and coriander into a chinnok hopped IPA. anyone tried this combo? would it work in your opinion?

I believe the madfermentationist has and reported that a Belgian White IPA worked. I don't think it will add much in a standard American IPA, coriander although earthy with soft sweet floral notes is delicate and will get lost in an IPA. Belgian Wits make a good base for these spices because a Witbier is light bodied, low hopped with subtle yeast character. But **** do it anyway and learn something.

I agree with Lebrewski in that a traditional IPA will mask the subtlety of the Orange and coriander. My suggestion would be to use more "fruit-forward" hops like Galaxy or Citra in order to provide the hoppiness required of an IPA while still allowing your orange/coriander notes to come through. My two cents. Good luck!

Thanks. I didnt make it to the brew store for the orange peel or coeiander, and the grain is in final stage of mash.in so i might try some ground coriander and a whole orange. What can go wrong..right..lol

Thanks. I didnt make it to the brew store for the orange peel or coeiander, and the grain is in final stage of mash.in so i might try some ground coriander and a whole orange. What can go wrong..right..lol

That's the right attitude! I mean, at the very worst you'll still end up with something 100 times more enjoyable than Budweiser!

Deschutes makes a White IPA that does this....It's delicious....it's called Chainbreaker....carry on.

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/recipe/chainbreaker-white-ipa-clone

I did a beer based on a chainbreaker clone and it was one of my favorites. I think the key was combining with fruity hops. Also, you need a whole lot more than one orange. Try a dozen.

I've had a number of White IPA's that use variations of coriander and orange peel and they are delicious. The coriander definitely comes through if you want it to.

Got to visit the ommegang brewery this past week and do the tasting. They put coriander and orange peel in most of their beers. I liked them all. I would like to try this too.

I made an IPA with orange peel http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/5270/caldera-orange-dry-hop

It was based on the Caldera Dry Hop Orange.

Dry Hop Orange A conundrum in the world of beer. This ale does not fit any conventional beer style. Orange in color only, this beer has hop characteristics of oranges and tangerines. Malts: Premium Two Row, Crystal; Hops: Amarillo, Cascade, Galena; Alcohol by volume: 5.6%; IBU: 80; SRM: 9

I add orange peel and coriander to a lot of my ipa. It adds to the complexity of the Orange flavor imho. I don't find it masked or muted at all. I have done recipes with and without and prefer it in.

I used approximately 2oz of clementine zest in a black IPA recently that turned out awesome. It gives the sweeter less-piney citrus character compared to most citrus hops. It was fantastic.

Latest posts

Back