Orange Melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dparker747

Reaction score
Started a 1 gallon batch of orange melomel last night.

2 cups of fresh squeezed orange juice
3 lbs orange blossom honey
1 cinnamon stick
zest from 2 oranges

I heated up 2 quarts of water to 160 and added the cinnamon stick and orange zest. I let that steep for 15 minutes, removed from heat and added the orange blossom honey. I stirred it all to mix well and poured into the primary through a strainer. Added water to 1 gallon then pitched lalvin D-47. The SG was 1.102, if the final product tastes anything like the initial smell, this should be pretty good.

D47 is a fine yeast. It seems to carry a caveat though.....

it's known to produce a lot of fusels if fermented above 70F/21C......

hence it seems best to keep it cooler......

I've heard that but without a basement, I run a fine line between keeping the wife happy or keeping the yeast happy. I have it in a closet in an unused room, with the heater vent shut off, it stays about 65 or so in there.

Racked to secondary and the sg was 1.000. Sampled a little and it was very dry and not much orange flavor. I'm hoping this comes back as it ages and clears.

Racked to secondary and the sg was 1.000. Sampled a little and it was very dry and not much orange flavor. I'm hoping this comes back as it ages and clears.

For some reason the citrus makes the yeast crazy. I recomend putting some orange zest in the secondary to bring back some of the orange flavor, and putting a touch of citric acid in to bring it's sharpness back.

How much Zest? well for about a gallon, which is what you apear to have, I would go with a tablespoon.

Matrix

For some reason the citrus makes the yeast crazy. I recomend putting some orange zest in the secondary to bring back some of the orange flavor, and putting a touch of citric acid in to bring it's sharpness back.

How much Zest? well for about a gallon, which is what you apear to have, I would go with a tablespoon.

Matrix

Thanks, I'll zest another orange tonight and add it in. I have an acid blend that I could add that includes citric acid, not sure on how much to use though.

Thanks, I'll zest another orange tonight and add it in. I have an acid blend that I could add that includes citric acid, not sure on how much to use though.

I don't know how much you should use. I would take a sample out, add it in very small and measured incriments and taste, Keep track of the sample volume and the amount you put in. When you are happy with it, scale it up and add it. You should be ok if you undershoot this too. As it ages the tartnes may come back a little.

Matrix

Back