Options for Extended Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcbeersnob

Reaction score
I use Better Bottles for fermentation and then rack to a cornie keg for any additional aging. Now that I am thinking about starting some sours, I will need to purchase more containers for extended aging. I don't love the idea of tying up a keg for a year or more. So my options seem to be glass or Better Bottle (or Better Bottle type) carboys.

To help with my decision, has anyone attempted extended aging in a Better Bottle or similar plastic carboy? If so, what was the outcome?

I don't like the idea of glass carboys, because of the safety issue and weight.

I guess I could buy more kegs. They are not that much more expensive than glass carboys and they would be a little easier to clean.

I use Better Bottles for fermentation and then rack to a cornie keg for any additional aging. Now that I am thinking about starting some sours, I will need to purchase more containers for extended aging. I don't love the idea of tying up a keg for a year or more. So my options seem to be glass or Better Bottle (or Better Bottle type) carboys.

To help with my decision, has anyone attempted extended aging in a Better Bottle or similar plastic carboy? If so, what was the outcome?

I don't like the idea of glass carboys, because of the safety issue and weight.

I guess I could buy more kegs. They are not that much more expensive than glass carboys and they would be a little easier to clean.

I've always aged my sours in plastic carboys, left one for 2 years once with no issues.

IMO you should bottle sours, because they keep changing in the bottle and it's nice to see how they develop

Latest posts

Back