Optimum chill time for bottle carbed cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyseko

Reaction score
Curious if there is a minimum amount of time to chill my cider in the fridge before cracking it open. Also, will taste improve if chilled for a longer duration?

I'm growing impatient and have been known to put a warm beer in the freezer for a quick chill to drink. I don't think I want to rush this cider along like that though. I'm reaching 4 weeks after bottling to carb and once in the fridge I want to maximize carb/flavor. Thanks.

I'd say keep it chilled for a couple of days, should be fine. I've made a couple of ciders, didn't notice a big difference between chilling for hours, days or weeks to be honest.

My patience lasted @6hrs before I had to try it. Quite a disappointment but I kind of expected it. Almost no carbonation after 4 weeks bottled @70F which was a surprise. (1oz priming sugar added/gal) The champagne yeast I used chewed up all the sweet plus any flavor.... Not sure if aging in secondary will help but I have a few gallons stashed away to try that route.
Back to the drawing board.

I just started a few gallons with nottingham yeast and am still on the fence if I should sweeten and pasteurize or stop the ferment early. eh. Or just start saving for a keg system.;)

Most of the cider kits come with sweetener.
I've done 3 of them (Mangrove Jacks). All three turned out meh. I've stopped doing them.

4 weeks at 70f should be more than enough though.

Latest posts

Back