Optimal Fridge Temp for Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
All,

I recently moved my brewing setup into my garage, and we have a spare fridge I can use, and adjust, as a fermentation chamber. What approx range should I shoot for when adjusting the fridge? I am aware that it all depends on the yeast/style of beer, but I figure a constant fridge is better than a basement corner that can fluctuate a bit.

Thanks,

Generally, for ales - 65F or so. For lagers, 50F or so. Just as a rule of thumb.

You're going to like having the fridge as a fermentation chamber and being able to control the temperature so much better. For me, that was an incredible step forward in making better tasting beer.

"I am aware that it all depends on the yeast/style of beer",
you answered your own question.

This is why I brew as per the seasons and ambient temp in my basement . I check the 10 day weather for when im about to brew so I can know how my fermentation will go....

Got it. And a Fermwrap

One more thing: you want the controller to control the temp of the fermenting beer, not the chamber in which the fermenter sits. So attach the temp probe from the Inkbird to the side of the fermenter and have insulation over it so that it takes the temp from the fermenting beer, not from the ambient temp inside the ferm chamber.

Lots of ways you can do that. I took a piece of closed-cell foam, cut a small channel for the probe, and held that against the fermenter with a flat bungee cord. You could use styrofoam, some even use folded-over rags.

probefoam.jpg fermchamber.jpg

I’d set it to 65*F. That covers Ale, Cali Common, and warm ferment Lagers. Some refrigerators require a garage kit to work properly in that environment. You may need an external controller to reach and hold that temp.

Last edited:
Back