Opportunity sometimes smacks ya in the face

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Punity

Reaction score
So im here to gloat a little bit as this is all kind of unreal for me,

Ive accepted a position to be the head brewer at a local winery/brewery that is looking to revive its brewery side. If there as ever a perfect situation for this opportunity its this one.

The brewery and winery are in the same building which is connected to their taproom where for now they just have local crafts on tap. The owner has expressed that the winery pays for everything and the brewery will not need to pay the bills as he puts it. I dont have to jump to a large scale right off the bat (2bbl), since everything is going out of the taproom until we can build the brand and expand. The winery is already an established brand that the owner sells in house and distributes to cruise lines and such. The brewery was at one time up and running so all paperwork is current and in check which means we can start right away sans equipment, which is on the way.

It will also allow me to keep my other job which i have a 4 day on 4 day off schedule i can tend to the brewery on my extended weekends, that is until i can make this take hold and then transition to this being my only job.

also the area im in is sorely missing local brews, there is only one brewery in the county and they are very low key and mostly out of someones garage.

Its just still all surreal for me, i wanted to do this and was in the process of formulating a business plan and fretting over money but now im completely absolved of all financial responsibility, that is until i can get a stake in the company and then worry like never before haha. :ban:

Just had to vent to people that understand what this means. When this gets up and running i invite anyone that comes to Westport,Wa to stop on by grab a pint and chat. Im always willing to discuss beer with people i hold in high regard which is most members on this site, this site has given me the knowledge and confidence to move forward with my dream and for that I thank you all. :mug:

Im curious, how did you get the job? Do you have a brewing degree? Are you literally just a homebrewer (i mean this in no disrespect)? Did you just have the guy try some of your homebrew and he thought you just did a phenomenal job?

Just trying to gauge how much experience or education is really needed to get into something like this. It definitely sounds like experience trumps education in this field. And maybe just having a good connection.

But in the end, if you can craft great beer, who cares about the rest...seems like a common outlook on this job.

Thanks ahead of time!

Im curious, how did you get the job? Do you have a brewing degree? Are you literally just a homebrewer (i mean this in no disrespect)? Did you just have the guy try some of your homebrew and he thought you just did a phenomenal job?

Just trying to gauge how much experience or education is really needed to get into something like this. It definitely sounds like experience trumps education in this field. And maybe just having a good connection.

But in the end, if you can craft great beer, who cares about the rest...seems like a common outlook on this job.

Thanks ahead of time!

I would like to know as well. I too feel like having experience is more essential than formal brewing education.

that kicks more a$$ than is available for kicking

gloat on, brother. gloat on. rub our faces in it

wish you good luck & good brews

I hate you...just kidding..that is really awesome. Congrats. I live in Van BC and travel down to Washington all the time..maybe I will make this a regular stop.

Congrats!

Please do always welcoming of the northern brothers haha.

Thanks ahead of time!

To be honest its not the way i think anyone envisions breaking into this industry. Ive only been brewing a couple years so my experience is limited comparative to others.

This winery is a very small staff, literally the owner and his wife and a friend of mine works out there helping him bottle and learn the process of wine making because he likes to make his own wine at home. I have no idea how he got in with them.

The old brewmaster, who owned all the equipment and recipes, and the owner had a falling out when the brewmaster was using the breweries license to setup personal hop contracts and siphoning off resources to fund his own venture.

After the sting of that experience wore off the owner wanted to get the brewery going again and asked my friend if he knew anyone that could help, so my buddy contacted another friend of mine who also brews and is way more experienced then I am, however due to his job and where he was at in life he couldnt take on that adventure so he recommended me as a substitute.

Well i got the call and met with owner brought in some samples we shook hands right then and there. And here we are now, its kind of surreal when the owner of a business hands me the phone and says here order some new equipment after only knowing him a week.

Also i would be hella jealous of myself, i know what an amazing opportunity this is and how this doesnt happen to anyone ive ever heard of.

That is a great story and a great opportunity. With the number of very experienced home brewers around and the limited number of spots at craft breweries, this is definitely an amazing opportunity. Good luck!

we have an over-saturation of breweries in our county, with 2 more opening up by the end of the year

I'm not complaining, I will try all their beers and hope they all do well, but what we really need around here is a LHBS

This is the brewing equivalent of winning the Mega Millions lottery. Good job! Hope it doesn't turn into actual tedious work.

To be honest its not the way i think anyone envisions breaking into this industry. Ive only been brewing a couple years so my experience is limited comparative to others.

This winery is a very small staff, literally the owner and his wife and a friend of mine works out there helping him bottle and learn the process of wine making because he likes to make his own wine at home. I have no idea how he got in with them.

The old brewmaster, who owned all the equipment and recipes, and the owner had a falling out when the brewmaster was using the breweries license to setup personal hop contracts and siphoning off resources to fund his own venture.

After the sting of that experience wore off the owner wanted to get the brewery going again and asked my friend if he knew anyone that could help, so my buddy contacted another friend of mine who also brews and is way more experienced then I am, however due to his job and where he was at in life he couldnt take on that adventure so he recommended me as a substitute.

Well i got the call and met with owner brought in some samples we shook hands right then and there. And here we are now, its kind of surreal when the owner of a business hands me the phone and says here order some new equipment after only knowing him a week.

Wow, thats super awesome. And kind of how I envisioned it going for you based on your original post. Definitely jealous haha.

Sometimes all it takes is knowing the right person. And obviously you know your stuff, so im sure you'll do well. Good luck man!

we have an over-saturation of breweries in our county, with 2 more opening up by the end of the year

I'm not complaining, I will try all their beers and hope they all do well, but what we really need around here is a LHBS

If that was the way it was here I think I'd be more apt to open a HBS as the closest one is an hour away.

Yea I kept telling my wife that this is my lottery I don't ever need to buy a ticket again I've got my one win in life haha.

Yea I kept telling my wife that this is my lottery I don't ever need to buy a ticket again I've got my one win in life haha.

Well, the only luck portion of it was them calling you. After that point, it was your beer and skills that shined. So it was only half luck lol

Congrats!!!
Sounds like you're going to have a lot fun and doing a lot of hard work.
I've been to Westport a few times fishing and picking up lots of osters.
I'll be sure to drop by if I ever get back that way.

Congrats!!!
Sounds like you're going to have a lot fun and doing a lot of hard work.
I've been to Westport a few times fishing and picking up lots of osters.
I'll be sure to drop by if I ever get back that way.

Sounds great I look forward to it.

Latest posts

Back