Opinions on the new Sabro hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coconut is there from Sabro, but I think you need a gentle hand with it. When combined, it will probably shine more than when used exclusively, on its own.

I think it's because it's an all Sabro beer. Sabro works well/better? when used 20-40% of the hop bill, combined with other hops. I think it either needs more time, or it will remain somewhat the same til the end.

No i ended up dumping it! I think the malted oats i used had more to do with the issue than the amount of Sabro hops used. I will say 4oz in a 5g batch is definitely the threshold of using in a dry hop addition. I used 4 oz Sabro / 3oz Motueka dry hop in the beer above with Simcoe/Amarillo WP/hotside. My neighbor brewed a variation of this same beer and when dry hopped at 4oz each of Sabro/Moteka we both agreed this was the most shelf stable and best IPA he ever brewed! At first it's cedar closet and woody but after a few weeks this mellows and the beer really comes around.

Last edited:
Sabro took off this year but I've seen it used too heavy-handed which makes beers taste too sweet and too much like suntan lotion for me.

I made a Sabro addition at the end of a simple witbier brew. The end result had a very strong, clean bitterness to it that was by no means unpleasant. I was hoping to get some of the tropical fruits and coconut though. I probably won't brew with it again until I can figure out how to harness it properly.

Back