Opinions on my SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Hops should go in my SMaSH?

• Galena

• Progress

• Summit

• Warrior

Results are only viewable after voting.

BrotherGrim

Reaction score
I am planning a SMaSH with 12 lbs Maris Otter and one of three hops which are currently awaiting use in my freezer. I am open for suggestions and will weigh your poll results with whatever comments I get in the thread.

This is my first SMaSH but I have used all the hops listed before so I do have some idea of what they can bring to the party, but I am really curious what everyone else has experienced.

Well, since you already know the hops,I suggest underhopping it so you can truly get an appreciation of the MO;)

Edit:I just did a Munich/Columbus smash and I only gave it about 7 ibus so I could get a handle on the malt taste.

Actually a good idea Sally, I may keep it on the malty side because I do enjoy the MO profile. I still am curious as to your Hop choice with what I have and why you would choose it. I am far from a Hops Savant if there is such a thing, so any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had great results with MO, mashed low, plus Centennial. That was the first batch where SWMBO said "wow - you could sell this."

Of what you have listed, Galena, but I'd drink the Summit and Progress if you offered them to me. I mean, I'd drink the warrior too, but that seems like the worst choice for a smash. You could bitter with whatever, then split the batch after the boil and add all your flavor/aroma hops at flameout and dry-hop to try out two different hops.

I just did a small pale ale with some pale malt a little caramalt with summit. It was great! I buttered with magnum and did .50 oz at 15 and 5 and 1 oz dry hop.

I do my MO SMaSH with EKG... Brewed a batch last weekend so that I don't run out (have the last keg, from the previous batch, on tap now). I actually used the hop bursting method with it, so that the hops would also shine (all added from 20 minutes forward). Seems like I'm brewing this recipe every few months, so that I have a good supply on hand.

I would be sure to use a yeast that will allow the malt to come through. Mash right and you'll have something wonderful.

I do my MO SMaSH with EKG... Brewed a batch last weekend so that I don't run out (have the last keg, from the previous batch, on tap now). I actually used the hop bursting method with it, so that the hops would also shine (all added from 20 minutes forward). Seems like I'm brewing this recipe every few months, so that I have a good supply on hand.

I would be sure to use a yeast that will allow the malt to come through. Mash right and you'll have something wonderful.

Just brewed another 9g of my hop bursted "Fashionably Late" PA that's all NZ hops. I love this method. I use all Pale Ale malt cause MO is $$$

OP, I voted Galena

Well, Summit is the top choice of those who voted, but the votes don't seem to match the comments. I am brewing tomorrow and still have not settled on which hops I want to use. I guess this is a bump to see what results I have by morning to check if the Hops preference landscape changes.

Winner of the poll gets the honors people so vote up!

Back