Opinions: Full False Bottom or smaller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Malone

Reaction score
I realize that a full FB is optimal but is it really necessary? I am converting a Sanke Keg into a mashtun and I am trying to figure out the best way to do the FB. I have seen Jaybird's false bottoms and they are nice but the 15" hinged FB start at $85 +shipping. There are similar alternatives that are slightly cheaper (Climax) but I cant decide if I want to risk it with a company that I cant find contact info on their home page.

Then there is the 12" domed FB's that run 1/2 the price of a Jaybird FB and look like they'd do a great at half the price. They look to be really sturdy and shouldn't collapse under the pressure of the grain.

And then there are some of the alternatives put forth on this site, the splatter screen FB that i've seen floating around and whatnot...

So I need some opinions...when taking everything into account what is the best option? 15" Full or 12" FB that covers the main collection area of the mash?

Full width FB from Sabco. Yes, it's pricey, but IMO this is one of those situations where you get what you pay for. Do you want a Chevy or do you want a Cadillac? The Sabco's have a proven track record as in Brew Magic.

Full width FB from Sabco. Yes, it's pricey, but IMO this is one of those situations where you get what you pay for. Do you want a Chevy or do you want a Cadillac? The Sabco's have a proven track record as in Brew Magic.

I like nice things but I also know that sometimes more expensive isn't always better....

Isn't the Sabco just like the Jaybird FB, or vice versa?

I like nice things but I also know that sometimes more expensive isn't always better....

Isn't the Sabco just like the Jaybird FB, or vice versa?

I've never seen one of Jaybird's FB's, so I'm not qualified to say one way or the other. I have seen a few Sabcos as a number of my friends use them. I like that the hinge straps are on the bottom side and the FB supports are well designed. I have one of the round pie plate type FB's from Northern Brewer, but it's in my BK, not my MT. The smaller FB will work, but it's a no brainer to see that the full width FB's have a much larger surface area. Yes, sometimes more expensive isn't better, but IMO in this case it is. I can think of others as well. It would be best if you could examine each FB in person and decide on that basis, but that probably isn't practical.

I've never seen one of Jaybird's FB's, so I'm not qualified to say one way or the other. I have seen a few Sabcos as a number of my friends use them. I like that the hinge straps are on the bottom side and the FB supports are well designed. I have one of the round pie plate type FB's from Northern Brewer, but it's in my BK, not my MT. The smaller FB will work, but it's a no brainer to see that the full width FB's have a much larger surface area. Yes, sometimes more expensive isn't better, but IMO in this case it is. I can think of others as well. It would be best if you could examine each FB in person and decide on that basis, but that probably isn't practical.

actually it might be somewhat possible. My LHBS (Rebelbrewer) may have some of these options or be able to point me to someone locally who uses one over the other...I honestly never thought of that...

I use the 12 inch domed in my sanke with no problems, it's very rugged and have not worried once about it caving in under the weight of the grain.

I use the 12 inch domed in my sanke with no problems, it's very rugged and have not worried once about it caving in under the weight of the grain.

Question: Do you direct fire the MT? If so, have you had any issues with scorching?

I have and use a full width from jaybird and one from climax. Jaybird's is the better one, hands down. No need for support. I'll have to find the grain bill, but I think my largest bill was a 40 lb one...

Haven't seen the sabco ones in person.

I have and use a full width from jaybird and one from climax. Jaybird's is the better one, hands down. No need for support. I'll have to find the grain bill, but I think my largest bill was a 40 lb one...

Haven't seen the sabco ones in person.

Why is it better hands down than the Climax? What kind of support is needed?

No support is needed for either. They're heavy gauge enough that the support at the sides of the keg is enough. The fit and finish on jay's is just better than on the climax.

No support is needed for either. They're heavy gauge enough that the support at the sides of the keg is enough. The fit and finish on jay's is just better than on the climax.

I realize Jay's is about a 1/4" bigger and he shines his up a little, but is that really worth the additional $25? Thats nearly 30%. And other than the bolts I cannot find a real difference in parts...I mean I can take 5 minutes with the angle grinder and some gator grit and get the exact same finish that Jay's has...

I am not trying to dis anyones product or pricing, I am just trying to get a reason for paying more for what looks to be the same(or very similar) product

I'm in the same boat as you J. I've been debating both stores as well, I might just wait till Jaybird has another free shipping offer, or order from Climax as well. I'd be coming from a braid/cooler setup to the false bottom keggle. So I'm sure I'll see some differences right off the bat no matter whos brand I use.

I'm in the same boat as you J. I've been debating both stores as well, I might just wait till Jaybird has another free shipping offer, or order from Climax as well. I'd be coming from a braid/cooler setup to the false bottom keggle. So I'm sure I'll see some differences right off the bat no matter whos brand I use.

Exactly, I am sure there are differences (notably the bolts in the hinges, the 1/4" smaller size and the finish) But I sent emails to the Climax guy and he stated that when it lays flat that there is no gap in the "seam" and that they guarantee satisfaction with 100% refund on returns....(this is from the ebay seller of climax FB's but I believe it is the same guys)

There IS a gap in the seam on the climax. It bugs me. That said, it IS a nice FB, just not as nice as the one from jaybird.

I think the finish jay has started putting on his FB's looks stupid (sorry) but I suppose some like it.

I will give you guys free shipping on the next 5, 15" hinged FB. Only because you asked! LOL!!! PM me and I'll set you up with the details. That will get the 2 within 15 bucks. I just started using even a larger pin hinge. Its overkill I know but Yuri would be proud!
Not sure if this post is allowed as a vendor, so if not please excuse me, PM me and I'll delete it.

There IS a gap in the seam on the climax. It bugs me. That said, it IS a nice FB, just not as nice as the one from jaybird.

I think the finish jay has started putting on his FB's looks stupid (sorry) but I suppose some like it.

The finish that is on all the FB on my site was just so you could see they were diferent. I only do the 1 finish really. But that said, no need to be sorry, I can handle it. :D
Cheers
Jay

I Just got one of Jaybirds 15" FB with the weldless kit and can say its perfect! Shipped ultra fast! and the man is a pleasure to deal with on the phone. I have no experience with the others, Mainly because his seem to have a reputation for being the best.. Also, This was not the piece of my rig I wanted to risk and try to save $25... I won't mention how much $ I've tied up in this newfound hobby in the last 60 days but the extra 25 wasn't gonna make up for the piece of mind!

Jaybird,,,Thanks for the fine work on what might be the most important part of my brew rig! JJ

P.S. On my next Dune trip I'll run down to Redding to stock up on some goods from you and All Star Liquor! hahahaha

Oh Yeah,, Forgot to mention the 78% efficiency we pulled out. First AG batch with a 22lb grain bill.. I blew the first vorlouf by opening the valve the wrong way, Pumped back to the MT, Reset the grain bed , Re-Vorlouf and that FB did its job perfectly! cleared up in 2 quarts and ran clear for 11 gal.!!

Thanks again! JJ

Back