Opinion/Experience with Imperial yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
What do you think of Imperial yeast in general? Considering using their A01 House strain for Yooper's Oatmeal Stout.

As an aside, they claim 200 billion cells in a pack.

fwiw, while most yeast strains I've used over the years have been predominately White Labs origin with some Wyeast thrown in, I've been a fan of Imperial from the jump. My typical batch size and OG is 10 gallons @ ~65 points, and the original Imperial 200B cell cans saved me a starter step...

Cheers!

Absolutely love Imperial. I don't even make a starter with many beers. Just pitch direct. My only complaint is that they apparently have some minimum ordering requirements that my LHBS can't meet so they had to stop carrying it.

It's good to see bigger wet yeast pouches for home brewers, but it's only going to be beneficial if stored properly and pitched fresh, ideally within a few days of production. Sooner the better. Otherwise it just translates into more cells dying as viability drops over time. Living in Europe it's a bit of a gamble, although I gather White Labs now have a production facility in Denmark. When I buy wet yeast I take a loop's worth (a microlitre or two) of the slurry and prep a mini (10ml) starter. Rest of the pouch gets dumped in the bin. So, after stepping up to what I need, I manage to pitch the freshest yeast possible. Ta-da!

I’d be curious to try but only found 1 shop in Germany that sells them.
Can anyone comment on how their Belgian strains compare flavourwise to the wyeast/whitelab equivalents?

I’ve really come to like Imperial yeast so far. I really like their pub strain and I recently used their altbier strain Kaiser. Both have worked really great for me and I like the 200B cell count.

What do you think of Imperial yeast in general? Considering using their A01 House strain for Yooper's Oatmeal Stout.

As an aside, they claim 200 billion cells in a pack.
A01 House specifically has made me several great beers: Milds, Bitters, etc. Haven't used it for a stout but would definitely give it a try.

I think Imperial has the best product on the market. I've used Dieter, Pub, House, Tartan, Darkness, Juice, Rustic, Gnome, and Whiteout. Gets to work quickly and makes outstanding beer.

I recently took an expired package of Rustic from my LHBS that was 6 months old - 2 month past the best by date. Built a starter and had a krauzen within hours. I'll be using it this week.

Imperial Urkel is now my house lager yeast; have a jar in the fridge that's done two so far, with great results. Will use it again tomorrow. And Imperial Loki is what I use for my House IPA, done with Citra & Sabro hops; Loki really brings out the pineapple of the Sabro, and ferments clean.

I've heard some mention A01 House as being similar/same as WLP007. I love using WLP007 as I like to occasionally brew clones of Stone beers that are unfortunately no longer with us (Pale, Levitation). If I were to make one of their long forgotten stronger beers, (Double Bastard, Old Guardian, IRS) I wouldn't mind making my starter with A01 House for only $2 more than a pack of WLP007 with double the cell count.

I have only used their stuff twice. I used Darkness once with a good effect and something else I really cant remember. I mostly use White Labs, and Omega, but that is mostly because that is what is easier for me to get ahold of in my area.

I mainly use A07 Flagship and A38 Juice. I'm a big fan. Pretty much stopped doing starters with their yeasts if they are within the use by date range and I see blowoff activity sooner than I used to. Until AIH skipped town last month my biggest excuse for not using Imperial was that it was a lot closer to go to AIH. Now I expect I'll pretty much use Imperial exclusively with dry yeasts as a backup plan.

I’ve been very happy w/ Dieter, Kaiser, House, independence, Flagship, Harvest, and Global seems to floc better than dry pitches of 34/70, but 2nd/3rd generation 34/70 catches up in terms of flocculation.

I used to work at a LHBS and we sold a ton of Loki (Kveik) and Juice and folks really seemed to be happy with them. The only complaint I ever heard was about their canned packaging, but that has been fixed for a while now.

2 thumbs up AFAIC

Last edited:
Back