Opened fermenter, strong funky smell!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deeve007

Reaction score
Red IPA fermented for a week, opened lid to drop in some dry hops, the smell is super strong / funky / a little acidic... is that normal? Beer tastes fine sampling from tap, so I'm hoping it's nromal for how the air smells at the top of the fermenter?

Get a big whiff of carbon dioxide did you? I would expect it to smell like beer otherwise, but I have had yeast that smelled terrible but made great beer. Was there any sign of infection?

Can't really say since I have never opened a fermenter that early.

Once it's bottling time I'll open again, take a whiff, and if any funky smell still will take a photo and see if anyone can see anything (I should have taken one). But the beer coming out seems to taste great for this stage, so thinking positively...

I find when I stick my head in my fermentation chamber, I get a smell similar to what you are saying. CO2 most likely. It kind of makes you cough. Sorta like taking a whif of vinegar. Not the smell, but the cough effect. I had not experienced that prior to getting the freezer for a ferm chamber. But, every beer since has done this so I assume it's the CO2. And yes, the smell is somewhat acidic for lack of better word.

I find when I stick my head in my fermentation chamber, I get a smell similar to what you are saying. CO2 most likely. It kind of makes you cough. Sorta like taking a whif of vinegar. Not the smell, but the cough effect. I had not experienced that prior to getting the freezer for a ferm chamber. But, every beer since has done this so I assume it's the CO2. And yes, the smell is somewhat acidic for lack of better word.
Yes, that's the smell!! From a little googling it does seem it's quite normal, so my first thought is no big deal, but being the first time I wanted to check. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back