opened fermenter day 2 is this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
I have 1 gal fermenting in a two gal bucket. The air lock was not bubbling so I opened it to see what's going on. There was a layer of bubbles on top.. But no bubbling in air lock. ???

It's perfectly fine. You saw krausen, so it's fermenting. Buckets are notorious for letting the air escape around the sides of the lid and not actually through the airlock. Close it up and walk away, check back in another 10 days or so for gravity.

Be patient. Airlocks can be deceiving. Like Boydster said, air can escape more from the sides than through the lock. Not sure how much you opened the lid, i used to crack it open a bit to take a peak sometimes as well. If you do this, sanitize your hands. 99% of the time nothing bad will happen, just don't leave the lid open to long. Cheers! Hope the brew is a good one.

On another note, if you are curious how fermentation is going, use a glass carboy so you can see it all in action!

Those poor little yeasties... just getting into a 65 degree bath and bam... a giant man is watching them.

You guys are so funny! I did a batch split between two glass jugs... With stoppers and air lock. They bubbled furiously.... But what a hassle getting the creep and crud cleaned out.

Back