Open Fermenter (sort of)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffries55

Reaction score
Well, went to get my first (and last) sample of the stout (FBS base recipe, Aged with Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla Bean, fresh roasted coffee, cinnamon stick, cocoa nibs, bakers chocolate, and 2 g cayenne) I racked over to secondary on 8/3, and noticed about 1/2-1/4 of my ale pale was not fully locked down. Went ahead and took a 2 oz sample and closed it up. They're in my temp controlled keezer @ 66-67º with the chest freezer lid closed. The beer tasted effin fantastic, beyond my expectations... but my question is, any chance the yeasties might have been harmed? There was nothing floating on top out of the ordinary, just coffee beans, chocolate, and nibs!

I'm sure you're fine. I've fermented in an intentionally "open" fermenting vessel before, with just a layer of muslin over the top of the bucket. If all tastes, smells, and looks good, I would say all is fine.

I'm sure you're fine. I've fermented in an intentionally "open" fermenting vessel before, with just a layer of muslin over the top of the bucket. If all tastes, smells, and looks good, I would say all is fine.
That's kinda what I was thinking, the only reason I am slightly concerned is I am likely going to bottle the whole batch and not keg any of it, so I can send some to friends & my good trading partners! The keezer does have a little bit of moisture in it, though I don't see any mold, guess I should stop being lazy and wipe it down for good measure.

Back