Oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knocksbrew

Reaction score
I'm working on a kegerator build. I have 6.9 cu chest freezer that I am wrapping with barn wood. I was screwing shallow 1 by straps into the side, near the condenser and I heard a hissing sound that increased with intensity and stopped after about one minute. Was that the Freon "container" that I just popped through? Guessing the freezer is trash now?

How else would you wrap an ugly old freezer with wood? Construction glue the 1 by straps?

Sounds like a dead freezer now. Look at some of the builds on this site and other places on the internet. Building a frame around the keezer gives you an area to screw your straps to. Lids are fine to drill, cut and otherwise modify but it is not usually recommended to drill into the sides of a freezer. This is also why you see lots of keezers with collars on them, gives you a place to drill holes.

Sorry, it's toast.

In most (if not all) chest freezers there are coils on both the inside AND outside of shell separated by the insulation layer.

For your next keezer project, remember the outer shell IS the cooling system and needs to be able to emit the heat to the environment. Any restrictions in airflow and trapped heat will cut down the efficiency.

Back