Oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekybobo

Reaction score
Fail... I was moving my fermenter bucket out of my swamp cooler tonight and didn't think about the negative pressure that would happen. As a result, most of the star San I had in the airlock was immediately sucked into the beer. I'm sure it won't hurt the beer, just was upset by it. I took the cover off, pulled the airlock out, put the cover and airlock back into place, an filled it up with star san again. On the plus side, the galaxy IPA in there smelled wonderful :)

The reason I have always used plain 'ol water... and not a single infected batch in 10+ years. Go figure.

I always remove my airlock and put a sanitized foam cup over the grommet hole when I remove my bucket/better bottle from the swamp cooler for this very reason. As mentioned above, it won't hurt anything, though.

Considering the OG on this bad boy was 1.072 and I pitched a couple packs of s-05, I'm guessing the alcohol would definitely kill any baddies. Or at least get them really really happy and send them on their way...

And no, it won't hurt the yeast. how many people sanitize their bottles with star san, bottle with "the foam", and still carb up just fine. :)

Star San won't effect the yeast?

Not when mixed with that much beer. Star San sanitizes by creating an inhospitable environment by lowering the ph but once it gets mixed with the beer the ph isn't low enough to do any harm. That's why if you use too little star san to too much water it isn't effective.

I'm sure your beer is going to be fine.

That said, Star San water doesn't taste or smell very good. People talk about it like it has zero affect on flavor. In small amounts, a table spoon or two, I bet it isn't noticeable, but I can't imagine it's completely neutral.

I had an ESB on a blow-off tube going into a growler with 3 cups (give or take) of Star San solution. It all got sucked back. The beer was far from ruined, but I think I was tasting the Star San water at least a little bit.

We're you using an "S" type air lock or a 3 piece? I read or saw a video ( can't remember where or when) that a 3 piece can be set up as anti suck back and I now use this method always. Submerge all three pieces in star san, assemble the unit sub surface then remove it from the star san vertically and it will drain all that CAN drain leaving the perfect amount in the outer chamber.

Latest posts

Back