Oops, racked on top of StarSan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
While making a yeast starter today I accidentally poured the wort on top of some StarSan solution.

My method is to sanitize the growler (I go the cheap route) by filling it completely with StarSan solution then pouring it out. Then I take my spray bottle filled with StarSan and spray the inside of the growler. I typically pour this out but I was distracted by a 2 year old.

I know racking on the foam is ok but will this have any I'll effect on the starter and/or final beer?

Also, ordered yeast online and the smack pack was pretty inflated due to the heat so the starter was to see if the yeast is viable.

Hoping to brew 4th or 5th and I can go to a brew store 60+ min away of needed.

So you left the amount you sprayed inside, or the initial large amount? If just a small amount that you sprayed in you should be fine. Depending on the ph of the water you used for the starter, it might even help. As for the smack pack....... depends on how hot and for how long...... watch your starter close for activity.

Checked this morning and no activity but it's only been 12 hours.

The amount of StarSan I would estimate to be around a Tablespoon so I guess no worries there.

No idea on pH of water. I used the filtered water from my refrigerator.

That little Star San is insignificant. Now if you racked on a quart or more, that would throw your beer off, but a tablespoon, or even a few, is nothing to concern yourself with.

For what it's worth, I recall some instances of people racking an entire 5 gallon batch on top of (up to) 1 gallon of star san, and it turned out okay. Mind you, this is from a flavor aspect, not necessarily a "will this kill my yeast" one.

For what it's worth, I recall some instances of people racking an entire 5 gallon batch on top of (up to) 1 gallon of star san, and it turned out okay. Mind you, this is from a flavor aspect, not necessarily a "will this kill my yeast" one.
Well, I'm sure a 20% dilution with water would absolutely affect the flavor of a beer.
But, Star San itself has almost no flavor.

And it's worth noting that Star San works by lowering the pH to a point that it kills microbes. It does not have any biocide properties, and is food-safe.

Latest posts

Back