Oops it got hot...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I made a very special 10 gallon batch of paleish ipa - lots of marris otter, gobs of hops. Came out really nice - clean taste (from gravity samples) looked great. It had cleared up several days ago and the yeast had dropped - I should have kegged it then but I had the idea that a few more days would do it some good. I left it in a cone fermentor - the only issue is I don't have temperature control on my cone fermentor. It fermented on the warm side 70 - 72, but made it down to 1.015 in a few days with ECY newark ale yeast. I couldn't get it kegged over the last few days and it got super hot - like 80ish for the last few days. I just went to keg it and opened it up to see what looks like pellicle and smells like a sour beer.

I am tempted to keg it and see what happens. I hate to dump it out as I think it would have been a truly great batch...

Should I dump or keg?

2013-06-29 12.06.46.jpg

That definitely looks like a pellicle as opposed to mold or something else. Anyways, Goose Island makes Matilda, a pale ale refermented with brettanomyces. It's terrific. Alternatively, I've made a sour IPA that got great as the hops faded and the tang increased. Lots of people on here make IPAs/pale ales that secondary with brettanomyces or are lactic. Both of those take time, though, and if you're not into either then I vote drink it young. Once you chill it to serving temps, any funky stuff will be severely inhibited.

So I kegged it and carbed it up. It tasted like a sour with very harsh hop bitterness. I was very disappointed. I let it sit in my serving keezer for a few weeks and tasted it again today - DELICIOUS! The sour is completely gone and the hop harshness has mellowed. It is a really nice pale more so than an IPA, even though I added a SH!+LOAD of hops to this batch.

Just another example of time heals most beer.

So I kegged it and carbed it up. It tasted like a sour with very harsh hop bitterness. I was very disappointed. I let it sit in my serving keezer for a few weeks and tasted it again today - DELICIOUS! The sour is completely gone and the hop harshness has mellowed. It is a really nice pale more so than an IPA, even though I added a SH!+LOAD of hops to this batch.

Just another example of time heals most beer.

Wow that is awesome. Time is an amazing thing.

Back