Oops, I sucked 12 oz of Blow Off water into my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

W0rter

Reaction score
Double Damn, when I was kegging my beer into my 5 gallon Cornelius keg I neglected to remove my blow-off hose from the blow-off bucket. The vacuum sucked about 12 oz of blow-off water into my beer. Does anybody know how much this will affect my beer?
Beer was a Pliney the Elder clone. The blow-off water started off as boiled water, but through out the fermenting process the water was slightly soiled.
Will this water sit on the bottom of the keg or the top? Or will it blend with all the beer. Hopefully it'll come out of the keg early as I fill glasses.

The water will be evenly blended with the beer. A slight dilution.

Thanks flars, is there a way to calculate the ABV variation?
OG 1.084
FG 1.011
Net ABV 9.8%
Approx 10 to 12 ounces of blow-off water were added.

Net ABV only means ABV without taking the dilution into account.

Easy to calculate. Calculate the total amount of alcohol (0.098*volume of beer), and then divide that by the volume of beer with the water added. Assuming a perfect 5 gallons of beer, 640 fluid oz, that's 62.72 oz of ethanol. Diluted to 651 total oz, that's down to 9.6% ABV. If you have less than 5 gallons it'll be a slightly more pronounced difference.

12 ounces in 5 gallons will not dilute your beer to any great extent. I am not going to do any calculations but there are 50 twelve ounce bottles in 5 gallons so you have diluted your beer 1/50th. My guess it to 9.6 - 9.7 ABV at worst.

Added: In the future do not use so much sanitizer in your blow off. I use a margarine cup, in a pot in case it overflows, then use just enough sanitizer to keep the end of the blow off tube submerged. Maybe 1/2 cup at most.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help Qhrumphf and kh54s10. I guess that's not so bad. Now I need to develop some kind of routine that highlights removal of the hose from the Blow-off container. I've done this before and I want to stop doing this. Little details seem to evade me.

This is partly why I don't use sanitizer in a blow-off tube...anything active enough to do this is at pretty much zero risk of infection via the blow-off.

This is partly why I don't use sanitizer in a blow-off tube...anything active enough to do this is at pretty much zero risk of infection via the blow-off.

It wasn't sanitizer it was boiled water. I had boiled some pint jars to sanitize them for capturing yeast from my conical. I simply took a pint jar of boiled water and poured it into my blow-off container.

It wasn't sanitizer it was boiled water. I had boiled some pint jars to sanitize them for capturing yeast from my conical. I simply took a pint jar of boiled water and poured it into my blow-off container.

That's not good. Standing water without something there to prevent bacterial growth will surely have bacteria in it from standing for weeks. Not sure what kind of effect this could have on your beer, maybe someone else with more knowledge can comment.

Rev.

It will have minimal effect on your beer, slight risk of infection. Doubt it will be an issue. All you can do is wait and see. RDWHAHB.

It's kegged now. I put 12.5 PSI of Co2 on it and I don't want to try it for at least two weeks. I doubt I can wait that long though.

Found this amethyst colored fuzzy in a blow off container once. ��

image.jpg

Luckily I didn't have any thing that looked bad in my blow-off container. I did a constant observation. until my keg sucked half of it in.

I had about 1/4 gallon go into my carboy once. Lesson learned. I have since bought a couple of DryTaps from Better bottle and use those during active fermentation and cold crashing. It will allow gas to escape from fermentation, but will not allow any suck back whatsoever.

I had about 1/4 gallon go into my carboy once. Lesson learned. I have since bought a couple of DryTaps from Better bottle and use those during active fermentation and cold crashing. It will allow gas to escape from fermentation, but will not allow any suck back whatsoever.

It looks like a nice idea, but I wouldn't know how to adapt the drytrap to my Conical fermenter.

20151205_140008_zpsrmhvlcet.jpg

Back