Oops, I left my yeast out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourLover

Reaction score
Hello all. First time posting as I’m new to the forum.

I made the mistake of leaving some yeast behind at my office. It was refrigerated, then left out for approximately 18 hours at 68 degrees, and then placed back in the fridge by someone else. When I got to the office today I took a look at them and they appear to look the same as when I purchased them.

The two below still have a couple of months until they expire. I did search prior threads on the site and I think these might be salvageable. Can I make a starter with these and still salvage them?

WLP566 Belgian Saison II Ale Yeast
WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch Yeast

The two below expired a few months back. Are they salvageable? Can I try to build a starter with the Brett? Is there anything that can be done to save them or should I just toss them and start over?

WLP677 Lactobacillus delbrueckii
WLP653 Brettanomyces Lambicus

Any help is greatly appreciated.

liquid smack packs? I haven't used those in years but I think they will be just fine. I've used dry yeast over a year expired and it made great beer.

Hi and welcome to HBT!

The yeast left at room temp for less than a day will be perfectly fine.

WLP677 L. delbrueckii: I'm really not a fan of this culture, so I would lean toward getting rid of it.

WLP653 B. lambicus: This should still be ok. A starter will confirm whether it's alive.

I'm also really into making sour beer. Happy to help if you have any questions! :)
liquid smack packs?
All the cultures he listed are liquid, but not "smack packs".
Liquid yeast loses viability much faster than dry yeast.

odie, Thank you for the information.

RPh Guy, Thank you for the information. The WLP677 is in the trash. This was a compromise from what I really wanted to use anyway, so your advice made is easy to throw away. I may take you up on your offer when I have questions in the future.

Thanks Again Guys!

I had a yeast pack shipped across the country to me over the summer, and when I took it out of the box it was hot to the touch. Probably well over 100 degrees, had been sitting on my porch for hours, and in trucks for who knows how long before that.

Refrigerated for a couple weeks, then did a starter with it, and it started up fine. A few hours at 68 degrees is nothing.

I've never used liquid yeast before, but i'm sure you will be fine sourlover. It was just a few hours like DVCNick said. Especially at 68. You'll be alright. Happy Brewing, & welcome to the forum.

Back