Online homebrew shop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MoreBeer and Williams Brewing are the two that I use. Both are good, have a wide selection in stock, and quick and reasonable shipping on the West coast. Birdman Brewing which is in New York (I think), has some great prices on Perlick faucets and beer line.

I have used all the ones mentioned but recently have been doing some business with Texas Brewing Inc. decent pricing, reasonable shipping and quality of the grains I have received is very good.

What online shops offer an AHA discount?
I'm not sure about AHA discounts, but Atlantic Brew Supply has several 15% discount codes from a few podcasts. Experimental Brewing podcast's code is 'brewfiles'. It usually makes them the cheapest ingredients for me.

I’m not a fan of morebeer at all. Their customer service is great but their grains are all premilled and vacuumed sealed in advance and left on the shelf like that. When I used to get grains from them I would constantly get over dried grain and fall short on my gravities. I get my grains and yeast from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. They mill at time of packing so all the gains are freshly milled and beautiful fluffy after the mash. For hops, I only buy them from Yakima Valley Hops. Their in a 15 mile radius of 5 major hop farms so they get them direct. They also always have new experimental hops available as well. I 100% stand by both of these companies

I’m not a fan of morebeer at all. Their customer service is great but their grains are all premilled and vacuumed sealed in advance and left on the shelf like that. When I used to get grains from them I would constantly get over dried grain and fall short on my gravities.

I feel the same about MoreBeer tried them a couple of times and always ended up falling short on my gravities too. These were brews that I have brewed many times and have always been fairly consistent with except with the grains from More Beer.

Has anyone tried homebrewsupply.com? I've never used them myself, but have been seriously considering ordering one of their true to style recipe kits for a while now. They are out of stock on some ingredients since the holidays so I'm waiting for them to restock before I order.

Think they are owned by the same people who own keg connection too. Not sure if they offer an AHA discount, but they do give a 5% dismount if use the code HHH from their podcast home brew happy hour.

My favorite is Atlantic Brew Supply. Specifically, because they'll sell grain by the ounce and are willing to double (or even triple or quadruple) crush grains at no extra charge. They have a great selection, ship quickly, and seem to always have fresh stuff. Really nice customer service, too. Only downside is there's no free shipping, but their prices are lower than the ones that offer free shipping and there's a flat rate $8 option.

So far researching I'm kinda leaning toward txbrewing.com. a few things I've seen researching is whether they sell partial quantities on grains (crystal, etc), do they charge to crush, do they have flat rate shipping and whether they pre-crush grains.

I don't like that it'll still be about 20% more than my LHBS though.

I agree with the Ritebrew suggestion, depending on what you're ordering. Their regular prices are a lot lower than other vendors for certain items, although they don't offer free shipping.

If I add a pound of hops to my cart, it's $8.99 shipping. If I add 3 pounds, it's still $8.99. 5 pounds is a little over $10. So depending on how much I'm looking to buy, it can be much cheaper than other sites.

For bulk grains, I've found it tough to get decent prices because shipping is prohibitive. Most sites don't give free shipping on bulk grains. An exception is Northern Brewer. Their 2-row is $54 with free shipping, and they often have 20% off sales, which would make it $43.20. Many people don't want to order from Northern out of principle though.

Atlantic Brew Supply is good, although I'm in NC so I have to pay tax. I stopped in there a few months ago when I was in town, and it was a nice shop. I ordered a couple kits and they put them together on the spot, with all fresh ingredients, whereas my local shop just has pre-packaged kits that might have been there for months (if not longer). ABS is just a little too far for me to drive though - over 2 hours away - otherwise I'd go there for bulk grains.

The way I shop varies. If I have liquid yeast in the order I will choose a store that is close so shipping is only a couple of days. Otherwise I often shop around. I will use the cart and shipping calculator of a couple of sites then order from the one that costs less. My go to's these days are Farmhouse Brewing Supply, Adventures in Homebrewing and Austin Homebrew Supply. I think the last to are now connected in some way.

MoreBeer for liquid yeast and general ingredient stock

Adventures in Home Brewing for dialed in recipes and hardware (Grains by the fraction of a pound)

Holy poopy though, looks like free shipping applies to bulk grain.
I just noticed that myself while pricing full bags. Domestic Briess 2-row Brewer’s Malt full bag $53.99 or international Best Malz Pilsen Malt $69.99 for example w/ free shipping!!!

I don't like that they don't do partial quantities on grain.

This is one thing that has never been a consideration for me. As soon as I went away from kits I got a corona style mill so I could buy whole grains in bulk. Even with specialty grains, I buy at least twice what I need. Then I have on hand ingredients for more recipes and don't need to place another order. Not many places have free shipping unless you hit a certain dollar amount. If you buy in small quantities you might not get the free shipping. Besides you get a price break buying in larger quantities.

MoreBeer and Williams Brewing are the two that I use.

Morebeer for grain, and William's for most everything else that I don't buy locally.

Williams Brewing doesn't vacuum seal or nitrogen flush their regular hops. They pack each variety every 6 weeks and store refrigerated, so you could easily get some 6 weeks old. I've used a lot of their hops (including aroma hops) and had mostly good results, but I'm a little concerned about the lack of vacuum seal. Have you had good luck with their hops?

Williams Brewing doesn't vacuum seal or nitrogen flush their regular hops. They pack each variety every 6 weeks and store refrigerated, so you could easily get some 6 weeks old. I've used a lot of their hops (including aroma hops) and had mostly good results, but I'm a little concerned about the lack of vacuum seal. Have you had good luck with their hops?

Never bought their hops. Usually just hardware, chemicals, Starsan, etc. I think a lot of brew stores do that (including my LHBS)--they get hops in bulk, re-package in air-filled pouches.

For hops I like Farmhouse. Vacuum-sealed in metalized film.

Closing retail store to focus on Jaybird line.

Nooooooo!

Sorry to hear that. Had planned on ordering a few speidle accessories next month.

Personally I’ve dealt with morebeer, homebrewsupply, Midwest, Northern Brewer and Yeast Bay. Homebrewsupply was by far the worst experience out of them. Morebeer is great, and usually quick to ship so long as what your getting is on the correct coast. Their cust. Service is fantastic to work with if theres any issue though.

No complaints about the big stores. I just feel guilty ordering from there.

Yeast Bay guys are awesome!

Never bought their hops. Usually just hardware, chemicals, Starsan, etc. I think a lot of brew stores do that (including my LHBS)--they get hops in bulk, re-package in air-filled pouches.

For hops I like Farmhouse. Vacuum-sealed in metalized film.
I have mostly only bought bulk hops, since day one, but lately I thought, Ill get the right hops, since a lot of recipes only need an ounce or two. Sure enough, some hops have been bad others flat gross smelling. Since my experience has only been with, I guess farm metal sealed hops, then resealed by me, maybe I am more sensitive, idk. I am going to follow your lead, farmhouse factory sealed, yeah thats what I want.

more ot, is morebeer and nb owned by the same company? I like those guys over at aih and their products. I dont really buy or shop much. I have gotten hops on amazon from yakima.

I've ordered from several of the online stores. Homebrewsuppy, AIH, Austin Homebrew, Keg Connection, Lionbrewingsolutions on ebay, Beverage factory, Proflo Dynamics, Morebeer. The only one that has consistently given BAD service is Morebeer. They are fine as long as nothing goes wrong, but on the multiple times that there has been a problem, Morebeer have proven inadequate in customer service. The list of failures is substantial.

I was really excited when we got a local shop, but they are not well stocked. And not well managed apparently . Can't keep yeast in stock, bugs (by the thousands) in the bulk grain storage, bad advice given to new or novice brewers. (They still recommend ph 5.2 stabilizer, transfers to secondary as an absolute requirement, all beer must be perfectly clear or it's no good, etc) Anyway, I shop around a lot. Find whoever is running a sale and has everything I need in stock.

For those that buy hops online by the pound, do you check with the vendor to see what crop year they have in stock? Some vendors sell them specifically by year, but others just say something like "Centennial - 1 lb". How do you know if it's 2018, 2017, or earlier?

Back