Online calculator for FG with refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I know there are a few online calculators out there for this. I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on their favorite? I'm trying to make some beers around 1.080 and get them as close to 1.0 as possible. Thoughts on which one is best?

A refracometer will not help you make the beer.

Personally, I think refracometer is too inaccurate for anything other than an OG reading.

The gravities you are looking at; high OG and low FG, are out of the standard range, and will therefore result in a less accurate calculation. The calculators are usually based off of measurements made on standard gravity beers, with a best fit polynomial equation. There is a lot of error in the data measurements, and if you are outside of the data range, the error will increase.

My favorite is at http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/ There was an article written about it in a recent issue of Zymurgy and if said article is to be believed the calculator is very accurate to within[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] ±0.002 SG for most worts. He does admit, however, that as Calder said, it will be less accurate for low attenuating worts, so take that into consideration.
[/FONT]

My favorite is at http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/ There was an article written about it in a recent issue of Zymurgy and if said article is to be believed the calculator is very accurate to within[FONT=Times New Roman, serif] ±0.002 SG for most worts. He does admit, however, that as Calder said, it will be less accurate for low attenuating worts, so take that into consideration.
[/FONT]

That one has worked well for me, too, although now I use Beersmith. I could care less if it's off a point or two. You still can tell easily if you've reached final gravity. I find a refractometer much easier to use with carbonated beer than a hydrometer, and you only need a few drops. If I'm really dying to know the gravity to 3 sig figs, I'll take a sample into my lab and weigh it on an analytical balance (never felt the need to do that, lol).

Back