One of my first year Goldings has died... :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatfatbastard

Reaction score
As the title states, one of my first year Goldings has died. Where should I buy a replacement rhizome this late in the season?

thatfatbastard said:
Thanks. I ordered a crown from them. Shipping is $11 - Yikes!

But it's quick and the plant is ready to go. It will take off.

I bought 2 cascade crown from them and they looked great. I forgot to cover them for the last frost of the season and they got burned. I thought they were goners, but they came right back and now look very healthy and are starting to take off!

Make sure you keep the soil damp, but don't drown them. The new roots will need ample supply of moisture, but it's easy to overdo it. From what I've read, hps can use a high nitrogen fertilizer.

We were doing some work on the deck this weekend and that is what killed the rhizome.

I was pressure washing the desk and we covered up the hops with a plastic drop cloth so that they wouldn't get any chemicals on them and I think the drop cloth acted like a green house. It was quite hot out and I think it got burned up.

The other rhizome in that bed looks good though, of course it had been growing better anyway.

Do y'all know if I should expect first year yields from the crown or would it be more like a second year plant?

I would not expect a yield the first year no matter what. OF course you might get *some*, but there is no guarantee and generally it's a small amount. Even a crown needs some time to develop roots. And you're getting a late start. If you buy a few plants you might get enough to use as aroma hops or something.

That's kind of what I figured, I should have been more clear about what I meant when I said "first year yield." Thanks.

Back