One mash, two beers - Steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacmp

Reaction score
Hi. My question is:

If I do a 10gal mash of say an English Bitter consisting of MO+C60+Amber.

Would it be ok to split that mash in two and add some steeped grains in just one of the worts?
Lets say I add some Chocolate + C120 to one batch making it into something like a Porter.

That way with only one 10gal mash I'll end up with two 5gal beers: an English Bitter and a Porter.

I know split batches are fairly common, but I haven't seen anything about adding steeped grain to just one batch.
Is it ok to do it? Is this a known technic?

Yes, you certainly can do that!
Just steep those (dark) malts on the side, strain, sparge, then add that wort to your saved out wort intended for the dark batch.

I would steep them in either water or some 2nd (or 3rd) runnings, to prevent extreme high gravity when steeping.

Hi. My question is:

If I do a 10gal mash of say an English Bitter consisting of MO+C60+Amber.

Would it be ok to split that mash in two and add some steeped grains in just one of the worts?
Lets say I add some Chocolate + C120 to one batch making it into something like a Porter.

That way with only one 10gal mash I'll end up with two 5gal beers: an English Bitter and a Porter.

I know split batches are fairly common, but I haven't seen anything about adding steeped grain to just one batch.
Is it ok to do it? Is this a known technic?
absolutely. its actually very efficient. you get 2 beers , same (basic) grain bill. you can then supplement each batch with a specialty malt (chocolate or maybe a little Crystal, maybe more fermentables and boost it up to a big Monk beer status !!) or just use different hops and yeast , you'll be amazed by what just changing those will make. Good luck !

Back