One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Brew Gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldandbitter

Reaction score
Due to my reputation for fixing and modifying everything i get my hands on I was given a Fluval 105 canister aquarium filter. First I was thinking of just using the tubing, but of course-"How can I use this with my brewing?"

I decided to kerfuddle the impeller pump and hose assembly into a cooling water recirculator pump for my immersion chiller.

My question is:

What is the most random or so-called trash item you have found a place for in your brewing arsenal? from doorstop carboy wedge on...

Some guy left a 15gal fermenator out by the trash at the bottom of their driveway. Score! Still had starsan bubbles dripping out the bottom. Pretty cool they sanitized it before getting rid of it!

When I first started brewing I would keep the copper H2O lines from old dishwashers that I installed until I accumulated enough to make a wort chiller. Then I finally went out and spent the money to make a legit one lol

Some guy left a 15gal fermenator out by the trash at the bottom of their driveway. Score! Still had starsan bubbles dripping out the bottom. Pretty cool they sanitized it before getting rid of it!

Be careful with that. There's probably a reason why it was out by the curb.

A few years ago while walking the dog, I spotted something shiny ahead. Turned out to be two corny kegs. Score! Got them home and cleaned them. Filled with starsan solution and pressurized.

Glad I did because I then found the pinhole leaks in each of them.

Harvested the lids and the posts and diptubes then put them out at the curb.

Back