One gallon fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using one gallon fermenters for secondary fermenting? I brew the typical five gallon batches and have been considering using five one gallon fermenters for secondaries, so I can experiment with different ingredients in the secondaries. I'm just curious if there are any downsides to fermenting in smaller quantities.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I do this all the time... My typical routine is to brew 5 gallons, primary, then pull off two one-gallon secondaries and move the remainder into a 3-gallon better bottle.

Nope. I regularly brew one gallon batches and often pull a gallon for oak or fruit from my five gallon batches. I have a few one gallon glass jugs for just that.

I've got about 25 of them. I mostly store sours in them as they easily store in the crawl space. Occasionally I'll pull a couple of gallons off a batch and add some oak or spices. They are good for batches of cider too.

Back