one gallon brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavittk

Reaction score
I usually make standard 5-gallon all-grain batches, but i want to start experimenting with one gallon batches and single hop or single malt brews to discover more about the flavors. Is it practical to just take a five-gallon recipe and divide it by five or is it not that simple? how much hops and grains should you use?

If you are working from the same system, it should be the same, but my efficiency is always much higher on 1-gallon batches, so there might be some adjusting needed for specialty grains. Particularly, the amount of crystal in an IPA recipes can go from well-balanced to cloying in even just a few points of added efficiency.

I've recently done the same. My equipment limited me to not doing a full size boil. Now that I've reduced batch size to 2 gallons, I can really start getting that full utilization. Check out the 2.5 gallon brew demon conical fermenter. I didn't buy any of their kits, but I just bought the conical. Testing it out as we speak! Happy brewing.

I brew the same recipes either in 1, 3, 5 or 10 gallon batches. The conversion is this: Original ingredient amount X New batch size / Old batch size. Do this calculation for each and every ingredient. This works every time as long as your process and equipment remains the same batch to batch.

I brew the same recipes either in 1, 3, 5 or 10 gallon batches. The conversion is this: Original ingredient amount X New batch size / Old batch size. Do this calculation for each and every ingredient. This works every time as long as your process and equipment remains the same batch to batch.

I can vouch for this as well. That's the method I've used and so far it hasn't let me down.

Back