One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm...Ever since I heard that Palin had fried butter on a stick, I've been curious. I'll probably never work up the nerve to try it even if I had the chance (sounds like a portable coronary to me), but still...

Also, has anybody ever tried alligator meat?

MoonshineJane73 said:
Hm...Ever since I heard that Palin had fried butter on a stick, I've been curious. I'll probably never work up the nerve to try it even if I had the chance (sounds like a portable coronary to me), but still...

Also, has anybody ever tried alligator meat?

Gator meat is a dime a dozen here in Florida. It's not bad, it's tough, chicken with a hint of the sea.

Never gator, but had crocodile in singapore.. it was asian style obviously so it was stir fried in some kinda brown sauce and green onions that made the taste difficult to distinguish. I'd eat it again though. Not bad.

Was that the same episode with the cheese made in the animal stomach with the maggots? That actually made me wretch.

But I'd be excited to try it.

Yes, live maggots crawling through the cheese. I've eaten live waxworms and mealworms, I can't imagine it being too much difference, except for the 'aged' cheese.

i was in a beekeeping class, we learning how to check the brood for mites when one of the students asked the teacher if you could eat the larvae. he was pretty stunned but couldn't think of a reason why she shouldn't, so she popped one up the veil and into her mouth, chewed, while the rest of us counted the seconds, sort of like judge smails wellllll we're waiting.... she reported back, a lot like live mealworms! so there- i can get away with skipping either live meal worms or honeybee larvae.

Has anyone tried Huitlacoche? I'm pretty curious, but I'm actually a little nervous. I can try 'cules no problem... but this stuff scares me.

I have not tried Huitlacoche. I have seen it eaten on a couple of Food Network shows. I will try it, heck, as you know by now, I will try just about anything, at least once.

Flamingo. I once got to choose between the bird and turtle, and i chose the reptile. Of course later on i found that every restaurant on the island had turtle, and no one else had flamingo. I guess i have to go back!

Flamingo. I once got to choose between the bird and turtle, and i chose the reptile. Of course later on i found that every restaurant on the island had turtle, and no one else had flamingo. I guess i have to go back!

Sandhill crane is pretty dang good. I like it better than swan. Both are legal in Alaska.

Has anyone tried Huitlacoche? I'm pretty curious, but I'm actually a little nervous. I can try 'cules no problem... but this stuff scares me.

Never ate any, but I accidentaly grew some once. I'd never seen or heard of it at that time, but I described it to a Mexican woman I worked with & she asked me to bring it in so she could see it. When I did, she was rather excited that I had grown it & said it was a tasty delicacy in Mexico. The flavour has been described as "mushroom like, savoury, earthy, woody."

I only had a few ears of corn infected & really didn't want it to spread or get a foothold in my garden, so I yanked those plants & burned them. I'd try it as long as they came from somebody else's garden or from a commercially produced can.
Regards, GF.

hate to say it but tastes like chicken. it's very nice (well, i've only had it once), but it's not in the same category of distinctive flavor as black or white truffle. i would love to have some again though!

I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater, but I had a hard time with Natto. Appearance, smell, taste, consistency...it just didn't appeal on any level. That second link pretty much sums up my experience with it.

I've tricked a few folks into a bite of natto. At a busy sushi place it's hard to smell it, and it doesn't look bad. Almost like beans with caramel sugar. Besides, when you hear it's just fermented soy beans... well i've never had someone not fall for it!

I've tricked a few folks into a bite of natto. At a busy sushi place it's hard to smell it, and it doesn't look bad. Almost like beans with caramel sugar. Besides, when you hear it's just fermented soy beans... well i've never had someone not fall for it!

And what's the typical reaction then?

C'mon, it's not that bad. Mix it up with some rice and I'd say it's pretty good. I'd agree it's tough to eat on its own tho.

The sister in law and I both tried a taste of Japanese fermented fish entrails. Looks and tastes exactly as you would think it to. We both tasted (on the count of three), and looked at each other and said "okie, we've done that."

We then discretely gargled with Sapporo.

C'mon, it's not that bad. Mix it up with some rice and I'd say it's pretty good. I'd agree it's tough to eat on its own tho.

See, when I had it, there was raw squid mixed in. It was slime on top of slime, with no rice to dilute it. My one friend (who is a Japanese immigrant and loves the stuff) put raw egg yolk on top of hers as well. Even now, I'm having a hard time keeping down my coffee just thinking about it.

Tried natto recently and its not bad at all, sounds and looks worse than it is. Some interesting stuff on this menu :)
menu.jpg

The "Luncheon meat" is just the Asian version of Spam (lips & a$$holes), you can buy it at Walmart. The penis, beef or otherwise...
There's a pretty strong cultural wall in my brain that would have to fall before I'd try that; either that, or starvation motivation. The rest of the menu I think I could eat, though IMHO intestines should be stuffed with meat. Not sure just what "House pig trotter" is, but I'm guessing it's pigs feet. Regards, GF.

The "Luncheon meat" is just the Asian version of Spam (lips & a$$holes), you can buy it at Walmart. The penis, beef or otherwise...
There's a pretty strong cultural wall in my brain that would have to fall before I'd try that; either that, or starvation motivation. The rest of the menu I think I could eat, though IMHO intestines should be stuffed with meat. Not sure just what "House pig trotter" is, but I'm guessing it's pigs feet. Regards, GF.

Yep, "house pig trotter" is just feet.

Do you know what food the Japanese (at least the ones I've met) find absolutely disgusting? Peanut butter. They can't stand it. The stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth texture is just too much for them to handle. It seems odd to me that a culture that could eat beef penis or fermented soybeans with raw egg without batting an eye would be weirded out by ground up peanuts.

Yep, "house pig trotter" is just feet.

Do you know what food the Japanese (at least the ones I've met) find absolutely disgusting? Peanut butter. They can't stand it. The stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth texture is just too much for them to handle. It seems odd to me that a culture that could eat beef penis or fermented soybeans with raw egg without batting an eye would be weirded out by ground up peanuts.

LOL That's funny! I find culinary differences between cultures interesting. Trying to figure out why one thing is tasty in one culture, yet reviled in another is sometimes difficult or even impossible for me to do, but it's fun to try.

I mean technically, the penis is just another piece of meat; why not eat it? It's my own cultural bias that would make it difficult for me to eat it. I think I could eat dog, though I'd feel a little guilty about it. I've eaten cat in the form of cougar (aka mountain lion), and it was quite tasty; but up to actually putting the 1st piece of cougar meat in my mouth, I was pretty sure it was going to taste nasty; bobcat does. One of these days I'd like to try eating a rhinocerous steak or giraffe stew.
Regards, GF.

See, while I would NOT be totally thrilled or order bull penis, I would be pretty excited if there was a history behind the dish. Lets say it became a mainstay among Argentine cattle-workers because it was the only cut that the ranch owners couldnt make any money on.

Hopping-john because American slaves ate it. Bitter melon because my friend's grandmother used to pine that she couldnt get "good" bitter melon any more... what was the experience of eating the "good" bitter melon like?

Am I making sense?

LOL That's funny! I find culinary differences between cultures interesting. Trying to figure out why one thing is tasty in one culture, yet reviled in another is sometimes difficult or even impossible for me to do, but it's fun to try.

I mean technically, the penis is just another piece of meat; why not eat it? It's my own cultural bias that would make it difficult for me to eat it. I think I could eat dog, though I'd feel a little guilty about it. I've eaten cat in the form of cougar (aka mountain lion), and it was quite tasty; but up to actually putting the 1st piece of cougar meat in my mouth, I was pretty sure it was going to taste nasty; bobcat does. One of these days I'd like to try eating a rhinocerous steak or giraffe stew.
Regards, GF.

Yeah, I feel like I could eat dog as long as I didn't have to kill it myself and roast it on a spit or anything. If someone just brought the prepared food out to me, I think I could turn my brain off enough to just think of it as another piece of meat. I came *this* close to buying horse steaks once in an Italian grocery store (my lack of ready access to a grill was pretty much the only thing that stopped me), but if I had to go out and slaughter a horse myself, I don't think I could do it.

Side note: As I've tried neither, I have this weird mental association of dog being "red meat" and cat being "white meat", or at least closer to pork. Don't ask me why; I have no idea.

Not sure about all cats, but mountain lion is a lighter red meat; not as red as beef, but not as white as chicken. The bobcat I tried was already cooked when I saw it. Never tried dog.
Regards, GF.

GF , good to know. We have a lion prowling and Ill have my tag so I figured id get her before she gets someones pet. Dont like killing if I wont eat it. Same for the bear and coyote. No quarrel with the bear though yet.

Not sure about all cats, but mountain lion is a lighter red meat; not as red as beef, but not as white as chicken. The bobcat I tried was already cooked when I saw it. Never tried dog.
Regards, GF.

I'd really like to try mountain lion. A buddy of mine from Montana said it was pretty good too. Never had bobcat either.

GF , good to know. We have a lion prowling and Ill have my tag so I figured id get her before she gets someones pet. Dont like killing if I wont eat it. Same for the bear and coyote. No quarrel with the bear though yet.

liquiditynerd, up here spring bear is pretty good or an interior bear that's been on berries and no fish in the fall. Bears on fish are nasty. I'd imagine coyote being very similar to dog, just free range dog.

I won't dispatch a dog, cat, horse or whatever in the name of dinner experimentation. My family would have fits if I did.

I have seriously thought about the ability to kill and eat "pets", be it dog, horse, cat or whatever else has a 'name'. If the need were there, I have come to the conclusion that I can and would do so with very little emotional problems. I would regret any necessity that forced me to do so but would still do what needed to be done.

Hey, this stuff is literally everywhere here.

I didn't even know it was edible.
The Germans surely won't eat it even though they are the biggest mushroom eaters in the world.

I harvested one out of curiosity and it's pretty freaky.
I should have taken a picture of its inside (maybe tomorrow).
When you cut it you are met with millions of black spores and a slimy interior.
It smells mushroomy and very corny. Quite pleasant actually.

I'll try to find some recipes and preparation techniques.
If you never hear from me, you'll know what happened. ;)

Corn Fungus.jpg

Back