One food you have never had... but are curious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a No Reservations Seoul episode and one of the dishes is live octopus...it's sort of a rice dish with kimchi and a bunch of other vegetables, and they dump the octopus on top...sounds mean but you think a shark makes sure an octopus is dead before eating it? Anyways I've been wanting to eat that for years.

I turn 30 in July and have never had lobster, yes that's right, lobster of any kind never had it, and I love crabs, my favorite is king crab but for some reason nope no lobster

I'd go for good crab before lobster any day. Lobster isn't bad, but it's basically just an excuse to dip something in clarified butter. But you should definitely have one and enjoy it. If you can get it baked instead of boiled, do so - it's much tastier and less messy that way.

I've never tried, but would love to try these: Crawfish, Quail, and Duck.

Lobster grills up pretty nicely too. Boiling is about the worst way to prepare it, but most people do because it is easy.

I don't know where you live, but if you can get live lobsters at the supermarket - killing and cooking your own is an experience over and above the simple act of eating one. Having a live lobster rustling around in a bag going through check-out, wondering if the thing fell out and is crawling under the seat of your car as you drive home. Putting it in the sink, playing with it, and pondering the lobster's resemblance to a foot-long insect. Putting knives in their claws and watching them fight:

If you go this route, be nice and kill the lobster *before* boiling it or otherwise cooking it. You just have to stab it through the head and cut it in half. It's totally not icky or alarming in any way:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, they have live lobsters at superstore I look at them sometimes, maybe I will treat myself. What kind of beer do you suppose goes well with lobster?

snowtires said:
Yup, they have live lobsters at superstore I look at them sometimes, maybe I will treat myself. What kind of beer do you suppose goes well with lobster?

That Grolsch clone you are drinking or the cervesa in primary would both go well. You just want something very mild.

Yep, keep the beer pretty light. Lobster, baked potatoes, corn on the cob, cold side salads (green, pasta, potato, etc), and some light cerveza - good eating my friend! Corona-type beers would be very good, with lime wedges. Locally we have some Portuguese influence that works in some chorizo sausage and other dishes which add some nice spice on the plate. The lobster is nice but is pretty bland by itself. The meal really goes down well as a potluck with friends and family bringing the sides - the sides really fill the bill. Think cold summer picnic and everything will be fabulous. It's also a heck of a lot less messy to eat lobster out on the lawn vs. around the dining room table.

Snowtires - where exactly do you hail from? From your name and access to crab I'd guess Canadian west coast or U.S. Pacific Northwest?

That is a good guess, I hail from Kelowna BC Canada in the sunny Okanagan valley Wine country

Lobster, baked potatoes, corn on the cob,

Several of the fish markets around here used to sell a thing usually referred to as a 'New England Bake' or 'firkin' which was a tin (of volume 1 firkin) packed with a couple of lobsters, steamers, little necks, red potatoes, pieces of fish, corn on the cob... You added some water, punched some holes in the lid and put it on the fire for a few min. All you needed was a lot of melted butter. What a treat that was.

Now if you are looking for something at the other end of the spectrum (i.e. thoroughly disgusting) I highly recommend beche mere (sea cucumber). 'Westerners do not like' said the waitress. She was so right.

Finally get to indulge. Paid a fairly obscene price for them at Eastern Market in Detroit.

image-3270899033.jpg

I found a lovely sounding recipe for morels and fresh asparagus in a white wine cream sauce, that I'm going to do with lasagne pasta cut into squares. Maybe with a simple side of smoked salmon.

yeah! green asparagus (have to qualify that here as white is more popular) and morels is my #1 spring combo. i had this 2 weeks ago; morels flash fried in butter and a splash of sherry, black pepper, asparagus fried very quickly in very hot oil, giant pasta i forget what these ones are called, toasted pine nuts, shaved parmigiano-reggiano, good olive oil. boom!

mor1.jpg

mor2.jpg

mor3.jpg

Whsoj said:
Vegemite can't find anywhere. Aussie help?

Also those of you arming yourselves with coon lights and frog gigs in the warming summer months in search for froggy beware of golf courses that use dangerous amounts of fertilizers that run off in there frog filled ponds do not consume!

Marmite is easier to find in the states. Very similar to Vegimite, had both but not an expert!

I suppose angulas and percebes would be high on my list to try.

I've never tried, but would love to try these: Crawfish, Quail, and Duck.

Crawfish is tasty, I trap 'em in rivers & ponds. If you've got a good, clean waterway nearby, all you need is a trap, some bait & time; those crawdads will show up, looking for a free meal. Fish heads/guts make a good bait, so does liver, or any strong smelling fish/meat, as long as it's not rotten. This site might help:
http://www.trapperarne.com/whatbait.htm

Quail are tasty too, not unlike phesant, just smaller. Duck is very tasty too, but the taste can vary with wild duck, farm raised is pretty mild & consistant. You should be able to hunt both, but if you're not into hunting you can buy duck frozen just like a turkey. There are places that sell quail, but I can't think of any off the top of my head; I always hunt mine.
Regards, GF.

I'm sure I'll think of tons more if I read through this whole thread, but here are a few of mine:

A Cajun crawfish boil (which, there is an authentic Cajun restaurant nearby that does it every week while crawfish are in season, but it books up quick and I've never tried especially hard to get in)

Soft-shell crab.

Durian. It's supposed to be one of those legendarily stinky/nasty foods. I just wonder if it lives up to the hype.

For all you other lovers of weird food out there, I offer up one of the strangest things I've tried: Ika natto. I was friends with some foreign exchange students in college, many of them Japanese, and they would order this appetizer when we'd go eat at Japanese restaurants. It's fermented soybeans mixed with raw squid parts and a raw quail egg on top. Despite the warnings of several other people who'd had it before, I tried some. Man, it was rough. It smelled like rotten eggs, looked like a big bowl of beans and snot, and tasted just plain funky. I'll try just about anything once, but I think I'm good with never having that again. :drunk:

Have y'all ever had a low country boil? Sucks for vegetarian/ vegans but the fat from the sausage, the flavor of the shrimp, with the starch from the potatoes and the sweetness of the corn cob. Mmmm mmmmm mmmm goodness. Throw in some onions and maybe some blue crab, yikes.

Being from Canada...

Softshell blue crab

And chicken and ****ing waffles!

Ditto on the chicken & waffles.

Softshell crab is pretty high up on my "favorite seafood EVER" list. (right next to steamed crab legs and steamed oysters)

If fresh, and deep fried properly, I do think it takes the top spot.

I turn 30 in July and have never had lobster, yes that's right, lobster of any kind never had it, and I love crabs, my favorite is king crab but for some reason nope no lobster

I'd go for good crab before lobster any day. Lobster isn't bad, but it's basically just an excuse to dip something in clarified butter. But you should definitely have one and enjoy it. If you can get it baked instead of boiled, do so - it's much tastier and less messy that way.

I'd second that notion. I like some good steamed crab legs much more than lobster. To me, the meat is sweeter. And less rubbery.

(*disclaimer-- to my knowledge I've not had any especially awesome cook's/restaurant's lobster. it was all at either steakhouses, red lobsters, or the lobster buffet in orlando)

Speaking of that lobster buffet, here's a pic I had the wife take because I was so excited. I swear I think I ate 7 lobsters that night :rockin:

downsized951119122111.jpg

This one isn't strange but I live in the north east. I want REAL Southern BBQ! I hear it will blow your mind.

Get yourself up to Redbones in Sommerville MA, Davis Square stop on the MBTA red line. A true southerner would probably find something to nitpick, but really good pulled pork and a great beer selection.

(*disclaimer-- to my knowledge I've not had any especially awesome cook's/restaurant's lobster. it was all at either steakhouses, red lobsters, or the lobster buffet in orlando)

Speaking of that lobster buffet, here's a pic I had the wife take because I was so excited. I swear I think I ate 7 lobsters that night :rockin:

Try a freshly grilled lobster tail. You haven't had lobster yet.

There are a few decent BBQ places around. The decent ones are bloody expensive... made us cook our own que...

Everyone loves Dinosaur BBQ around here, but I've had good Carolina and KC BBQ. We definitely have better wings in upstate NY, but real BBQ is in the south.

I must taste this transplanted "North Carolina BBQ" next time I'm up north.
I always see these kind of places when I travel. I would tell you how to make but Id lose my tongue, I would rather eat/drink the local cuisine. LA= Crawfish and eye openers, Chicago= Genos pizza and hot dogs. Philly?= Has got a messed up idea of what a cheese steak should be all. cheese wiz on earth should never be made again.

I said this once already but Fugu is something i want to try. Something about the tingle.:D

Get yourself up to Redbones in Sommerville MA, Davis Square stop on the MBTA red line. A true southerner would probably find something to nitpick, but really good pulled pork and a great beer selection.

I love Red Bones. There is definitely a lot of people who say it isn't authentic, but I don't care. Great BBQ and beer selection in one place, you can't lose. I try to get up there as much as I can and it is my birthday dinner every year. I want to go right now.

I have had quite a few different kinds of game

beef
deer
Gator
kangaroo
camel
rattle snake
Elk
bison
Turkey
wild Turkey
frog
chicken
pheasant
duck
goose
quail
goat
lamb/mutton
Moose

one of the few on the list I would like to try is bear.

traveling for work I have experienced some rather diverse cuisine, though nothing truly "weird".

I always try to sample at least some of the local offering when I get somewhere, but I also don't go out of my way for outrageous foods either.

fir fir and kitfo in Ethiopia
Various dishes in the middle east I don't remember the names of.
Singapore doesn't really have anything unique to them, the whole country is kind of a hodge podge.
Ireland, Germany, France, England, and Canada all had pretty "normal" food.

I have had quite a few different kinds of game

beef
deer
Gator
kangaroo
camel
rattle snake
Elk
bison
Turkey
wild Turkey
frog
chicken
pheasant
duck
goose
quail
goat
lamb/mutton
Moose

one of the few on the list I would like to try is bear.

traveling for work I have experienced some rather diverse cuisine, though nothing truly "weird".

I always try to sample at least some of the local offering when I get somewhere, but I also don't go out of my way for outrageous foods either.

fir fir and kitfo in Ethiopia
Various dishes in the middle east I don't remember the names of.
Singapore doesn't really have anything unique to them, the whole country is kind of a hodge podge.
Ireland, Germany, France, England, and Canada all had pretty "normal" food.

Ever had wild boar? It's pretty good, somewhere between regular pork and beef. I've never had bear, but I hear it's greasy.

Try a freshly grilled lobster tail. You haven't had lobster yet.

I find it funny that I click on this thread thinking "lobster," and the first post I see it this.

I've never had lobster, but the GF and I are taking a week long road trip to Maine in a week, and that will be the first time I have it.

One food I HAVE had and most haven't that I recommend: shark. Yum!

BargainMugs said:
Everyone loves Dinosaur BBQ around here, but I've had good Carolina and KC BBQ. We definitely have better wings in upstate NY, but real BBQ is in the south.

dinosaur catered our Wedding at Letchworth and most of the Southerners were very happy. Now, thats the Bless your Heart politeness of a wedding though. I thought it was good but then again we had been drinking flying bison and blueberry mead for 10 hours. You know you turned southern when you're standing at the grill with the chef at your own wedding.

Oh man, whoever said chicken & waffles needs to try it. Dense crispy/fluffy Belgian waffles, good fried chicken, hi q syrup and hot sauce... It's one of those things I get a raving for every month. The wife too.

I would love to try fresh sea urchin.

Latest posts

Back