One day starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

223nbecker45

Reaction score
Would it be ok to make a starter with wyeast American ale yeast on Friday and pitch on Saturday or not worth it?

it's worth it. you'll get a lot of yeast growth. you'll have to pitch the whole starter though since that's not enough time to cool and decant. of course you can always pitch dry s05 packets!

It also depends when on Friday you make the starter and when on Saturday you plan to pitch the yeast. If you make a starter Friday morning and don't pitch until Saturday night then you should be fine. But if you make the starter Friday night and pitch Saturday morning you're not going to get as much growth....so you'd definitely want to pitch the whole starter without decanting.

24-hour starter is better than no starter. I did something like that a while ago (36-hour starter with a 1.060+ beer) and it worked out fine.

It also depends on whether or not you're using a stir plate.

If you have a stir plate, I find 16-18 hours is the sweet spot where the starter is at high krausen. If you wait 24 hours, the krausen will have fallen, and you won't be pitching at the most active time.

I did a 20 hour starter on an oatmeal chocolate stout that I brewed. It worked great. Even if you don't have all the cell growth you want, you are still giving the yeast all the nutrients that they want. They will be on their way to happy little guys as you toss them in to the wort.

All my starters have been in the 24hr range. I pitch the whole thing and its going good by six hours after pitching. I also use pure o2 for the starter and wort though so maybe that's part if the success.

Edit: I also use a stir plate.

Back