One beer, two yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I want to split a batch, 2 1/2 gallons each with two different yeasts. Here's the recipe. APA.

6 lbs. pale
1 1/2 lbs. amber DME
1/2 oz. Columbus 60min
3/4 oz. cascade 30 min
1/2 oz. centennial 50 min
5/8 oz. cascade 55 min

I'm thinking maybe Wyeast 1056 for one of them, but I'm wide open to ideas, lay it on me.

I want to split a batch, 2 1/2 gallons each with two different yeasts. Here's the recipe. APA.

6 lbs. pale
1 1/2 lbs. amber DME
1/2 oz. Columbus 60min
3/4 oz. cascade 30 min
1/2 oz. centennial 50 min
5/8 oz. cascade 55 min

I'm thinking maybe Wyeast 1056 for one of them, but I'm wide open to ideas, lay it on me.

Go for it! I do this all the time with my 10 gallon batches. I'll either split the batch with two yeast strains or do some type of different addition like dry hop with two different varieties.

Go with 1056 and then something totally different for the second like an English strain or even a Belgian strain.

JohnnyO said:
Go for it! I do this all the time with my 10 gallon batches. I'll either split the batch with two yeast strains or do some type of different addition like dry hop with two different varieties.

Go with 1056 and then something totally different for the second like an English strain or even a Belgian strain.

Sounds good but I'd like to keep them APA/IPA "ish".

How about white labs 007? It's similar to 1056, but will give you a different beer and remain in APA/IPA area.

I've heard great things about 007

Try a British yeast. WLP002 / WY1968 is really tasty and drops clear fast. It's my go-to for pale ales.

When I read the header I thought you were going to put two different yeast strands in the same fermenter and let them fight it out. May the best yeast win! :)

How about white labs 007? It's similar to 1056, but will give you a different beer and remain in APA/IPA area.

I've heard great things about 007

I agree. While I don't use WLP007 in my English styles ( I like Wyeast 1469 for those) it is fantastic in American IPAs. Its just a touch fruity and makes a nice change from the Chico strain.

Back