Once my pH meter is calibrated, do I...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedo-Rick

Reaction score
...need to re-calibrate it for every reading I take during my brew day? I usually do, but I don't have enough experience using pH meters to know for sure.

...need to re-calibrate it for every reading I take during my brew day? I usually do, but I don't have enough experience using pH meters to know for sure.

I sure hope not. If you do, then your meter is pretty awful or needs a sensor replacement.

Scientists like to check it every time because their job demands such high accuracy. For homebrewing...not so much. But if you will worry about your readings if you only calibrate once at the beginning of brew days then calibrate away.

It's a Hanna HI98128. Directions say how to calibrate it, but it doesn't mention anything about what to do or how to store it de tween readings.

We calibrate every 8 hours in a pH sensitive industry so long as the probe stays wet.

It's a Hanna HI98128. Directions say how to calibrate it, but it doesn't mention anything about what to do or how to store it de tween readings.

The manual is here

From the manual

When not in use, rinse the electrode with water to minimize contamination and store it with a few drops of HI 70300 storage solution in the protective cap. DO NOT USE DISTILLED OR DEIONIZED WATER FOR STORAGE PURPOSES.

Don't worry about brew day. Calibrate it and measure mash pH. Clean and store as per manufacturer's instructions above.

Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 9.20.01 PM.png

Back