On beer and automotive maintenance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger

Reaction score
My F-150 has been running really rough for about 2 days, and on my way to class today it died a couple times. I had the engine code read and it was a cylinder 4 misfire. Luckily for me I have a great neighbor who didn't mind parts runs. First I replaced the #4 plug, still ran rough. Then I replaced the #4 coil, still ran rough. Finally, I replaced the injector on #4 and cleaned the rest of them. It runs like new now.

For those that are unfamiliar, the #4 cylinder is buried under the dash, and protected by a tangle of wires and hoses that rival the Berlin wall in their ability to keep you out and the defective parts in. I did the plug and coil beer free, and nearly broke down and called a tow truck. Before tackling the injector I poured a couple pints for my neighbor and I. What I noticed is that every time I started to get frustrated I would stop, take a sip, and think. Those precious seconds of cold carbonated enjoyment usually resulted in a new approach to the situation, and ultimately led to a much smoother ordeal.

In summary, thank you homebrew for fixing my truck.

Im a helicopter mechanic for a law enforcement outfit, wonder if I could apply the same logic? =)

Im a helicopter mechanic for a law enforcement outfit, wonder if I could apply the same logic? =)

In my completely non-professional unqualified opinion yes you could. Unfortunately I don't think it would end well.

I apply the very same logic with my motorcycle maintenance. Works every time.

trigger said:
... What I noticed is that every time I started to get frustrated I would stop, take a sip, and think. Those precious seconds of cold carbonated enjoyment usually resulted in a new approach to the situation, and ultimately led to a much smoother ordeal.

works in romance too!

I wrote a 98-page thesis on "The Effects of a Dairy/Yeast Prebiotic, Lipid Source, and Temperature on the Growth and Health of Channel Catfish, Ictalurus punctatus using the same methodology.

:mug:

Homebrew broke my thumb once. Was putting together crappy IKEA furniture for my cousin and drinking. My brother was helping and was also imbibing. Somehow a hammer got involved (no hammer was called for) and I got stuck holding the peg being driven. I'm sure it was comical for all those watching. Probably like an old Looney Tunes cartoon. Didn't really feel anything til the next day.

I always enjoy a brew now and then, but there are some jobs I like to keep separate from drinking; electrical work, too many moving parts, working at heights, etc. I've had customers ask me if I'd like a beer when I get to their house. Wait, I'm going to be wiring in your house, don't you want me at my full potential? I appreciate the thought. Maybe at the end of the job. Barbecuing, cooking, movie watching, sports watching, showering, all better with beer. I'd come home from a day of trenching or working in someone's attic (why do they always wait 'til the attic is 130F, to have you come over and install an attic fan??) and have a beer while I showered and SWIMBO would say, "Can't you wait until you're done showering to have a beer?" Ummm, no.

I always enjoy a brew now and then, but there are some jobs I like to keep separate from drinking; electrical work, too many moving parts, working at heights, etc. I've had customers ask me if I'd like a beer when I get to their house. Wait, I'm going to be wiring in your house, don't you want me at my full potential? I appreciate the thought. Maybe at the end of the job. Barbecuing, cooking, movie watching, sports watching, showering, all better with beer. I'd come home from a day of trenching or working in someone's attic (why do they always wait 'til the attic is 130F, to have you come over and install an attic fan??) and have a beer while I showered and SWIMBO would say, "Can't you wait until you're done showering to have a beer?" Ummm, no.

While I have definitely been known to do this, I always pour into a plastic cup (I know, it's a crime). One time I set the soap down and picked up my pint glass. About halfway to my mouth time froze and I watched in horror as it slipped right through my hand. What was even funnier I'm sure was watching a naked, half muddy man leap clear out of the shower like there was an alligator crawling out of the sewer.

I apply the very same logic with my motorcycle maintenance. Works every time.

Oh yea, I do this too. If it weren't for beer I would never have been able to change my tires. Simplest, most frustrating thing ever...

I got my Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering and am currently working on my Master's. Any time I have a tough problem that doesn't seem to want to cooperate with my mental prowess, I throw some 'engineering juice' at it. Works like a charm every time.

I understand completely. And there were times, if it was a side job (NEVER while working for my employer) and the job was a simple one, that I would accept that beer while still working, but very seldom. And isn't it something how the trenching and/or attic crawling always seems to happen on the hottest days of the year??? Ugh.

As far as auto maintenance goes, I remember some years ago taking my then-wife's car to the shop. After the job was done, the shop owner (an acquaintance of mine) invited me to the back to see the old parts. I got back there and saw about a half-dozen cans of Budweiser on the workbench. One of the mechanics walked over, took a long drink from one of the cans, and then stuck his head back under the hood of the vehicle he was working on. Must be nice to be your won boss, huh?

Oh, and I have had a beer in the shower, too...:D

I'd come home from a day of trenching or working in someone's attic (why do they always wait 'til the attic is 130F, to have you come over and install an attic fan??) and have a beer while I showered and SWIMBO would say, "Can't you wait until you're done showering to have a beer?" Ummm, no.

She probably just feels left out. I recommend having a beer with SWMBO in the shower. Everyone wins!

PVH, Back in "the day" maybe, but I've been married for 27 years (next month, St. Paddy's Day!). Showering with SWIMBO isn't possible; there isn't enough room in the shower anymore... :(
I tried to get her to help trenching, but she wouldn't go for it. Ya know, just so she wouldn't feel left out. I even tried the, "people pay good money for a mud-pack." She didn't buy it.

I tried to get her to help trenching, but she wouldn't go for it. Ya know, just so she wouldn't feel left out. I even tried the, "people pay good money for a mud-pack." She didn't buy it.

Ha! Good try!

PVH, Back in "the day" maybe, but I've been married for 27 years (next month, St. Paddy's Day!). Showering with SWIMBO isn't possible; there isn't enough room in the shower anymore...

Classic TMI. :D

How about computer work? I think the fastest I ever put together a computer was one I built the day I finally got my kegerator together.

I managed to fall off a ladder hanging Xmas lights this year without a drop of beer in my system (except for maybe that which was left over from the night before)

Though IKEA assembly is mandatory beer time. Once you make a few of them, they're all pretty much the similar.

Back